Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Not seen it before. I move my hands, but not as much as I probably should. It does make a big difference when done.

I don't understand what he means about getting low. Watching the clip he doesn't look any lower at that stage of the turn than the drop in or coming back to the lip. In snow boarding at least you stand straightest at the point the board is flat before you change edges when carving. You start to bend as you enter the carve with your legs most bent when you've got the most edge engaged and greatest centripetal force. I'm told it's because if you stay straight all the force of the turn goes into the edge and your morelikley to come unstuck. Bendings supposed to absorb the force and avoid over loading the edge. Faster and harder the carve the more bend is required. Might be similar, might not.

James, I agree that by entering a snowboard carve with bent knees you can absorb more energy/bumps and therefore set the rail without skipping out. Being a slow but a active carver I believe I then push out about as hard as I feel I can to accelerate out of the turn which then leaves me more upright when transitioning to the other rail.

Had a good session yesterday (ten minutes drive) and really focused on my fakie carving. I believe much of the experience can be transferred to my wrong tack bottom turns. Firstly, the steeper it gets the more I start to anticipate failure and look straight ahead rather than at where I want to go. The negative expecation and wrong focus is of course a consequence of inferior technique, but really adds to the problem. I's like staring straight down the bottom of the wave on the redirect.

Even the underlying technique problem is similar to the bottomturn. When going fakie in steeper parts I stand up a bit and get too much weight on the backfoot. This hinders me from setting the rail efficiently with the front foot. It makes for a more skippy carve. And - not least importantly - it makes it harder to push out on the back foot to decrease the radious of the turn.

Interestingly (for me at least) I also find that when really forcing myself to get low and forward and push out with the back foot on exit, I overtax some untrained muscles. So it's not only about getting the muscle memory right. You also need the muscle strength to do the job. The good thing about snowboarding is you can spend quite a bit of time carving like this whereas in onshore waveriding at least it's only a few seconds now and then.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 16th February 2015 at 12:07 AM.

I think he says get down low to try and avoid the 'straight leg leaning turn' (easier less tiring? The sort of turn you do when tired - oh is it only me...), promoting the bending of you legs so you can trim the board and adjust the sail to the apparent wind and use the power sources of wind, wave and gravity more efficiently in the bottom turn.

The acid test is to actually try it when you are on a wave and compare both techniques and after experimentation see which is actually more effective for you.