Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sheet in the sail

HI all!

i red an article written by a guru, he says to power up the sail
    pushing with the front hand, instead of sheet in the sail with the back hand.

he underline the importance of the front hand to control the power of the sail..

shall I have your opinion? Thanks a lot

A windsurf board has a universal joint which means sheeting in to the correct wind angle is not the simplistic issue found in say a sailing dinghy.

The 'guru' is probably advising that instead of just sheeting in with your back hand it's better to dip the mast forwards to power up the sail. That simple move then encourages the board to move forwards and helps prevent the board slewing into wind.

So, the idea is that you are steering, as well as sheeting in.
    Now back in the UK.

Extending the front arm not only positions the rig further forward - keeping the board off the wind - but allows space for the rider to straighten the front leg and drop the hips to brace against the power. This is where the control comes from.

Hi basher, Mungo,
    thanks so much for your replay...
    My goal for this year is improve my early planing technique...
    and to be honest I still work the sail as a dinghy....
    without engage the front hand to power up the sail... It work.. But only with big sails in plenty of wind....
    my goal for this year is to power up the sail with my fron harm an pushig more with my front leg straight....

I hope I am not writing stupid things... Sorry i am an intermediate...

I think you are probably referring to Peter Hart and he provides that advise mostly in terms of gybing. I don't disagree with the above posts but they refer mostly to making the rig more upright or even canted slightly forward such that the luff of the sail gains more power.

When you are turning off the wind in a gybe you need to ensure the sail remains connected to the apparent wind. By moving the back hand down the boom you avoid sheeting out with the back hand as you come up over the board. Then by also pushing away with the front arm whilst the back hand maintains the angle of the of the rear of the boom/sail, you alter the overall presentation of the sail to better match the apparent wind.

It is just a que... when you want to get going, sheet in with the back hand, but remember to keep that front arm straight. Pulling the front hand towards you is the same as sheeting out with the back hand. And that is all.

Thanks mikerb for you reply!

i am referring to Harty tips in terms of how to power up the sail engaging the front harm... For me he is completely right! Not only in terms of gybe, but involving more than that, I mean to get planing, to get speed...
    I am only an intermediate, but last year I started to understand that is not enough to power up the sail only with the back hand without engage the front hand ... I started to feel more natural pushing with my front foot and at the same time pushing the boom away with my front hand straight to get going...

hope I am not writing stupid things...