Thread: fins

fins

Which fin do u use for freestyle?

My fins is
    Starfish b72 18,5cm for my 6,1 sail
    Starfish b72 17,5cm for my 4,8-5,6 sails
    Starfish nb61 16,5cm for my 3,8-4,4 Sails

Choco v-01 2 16cm for overpowered conditions with 3,8-4,8 Sails

I got maui ultra fins in same sizes as my choco fins and they are very nice as well.

I use Starfish B-72 18.5 cm for 5.4-4.8, with my '13 JP 107 which is 67 cm wide. The board is sold with a 22 cm fin that I never use. (A shame that JP fail to supply a suitable fin with the board.) A couple of years ago I had a Simmer 16 cm freestyle fin in a '12 Starboard Flare 101. I was very under finned when on a 5.4 sail...

Hi freestyle4975
    Really it depends on what moves you are learning, the conditions you are sailing in, how big you are and the boards you are on.

Generally the new boards are built to spin so tend to be sailed with a bigger fin then the freestyle boards of 4+years ago. The bigger fin will help in the preparation of the moves and keep you stable. You will have more speed and also more stability and power when attempting switch or ducking moves.

Im about 70-74kg and I try and stick to an 18cm if possible all the time for freestyle for me its the best balance between power and control. I prefer a choice starfish 18cm. If you are bigger go bigger if really small think smaller.

hope this helps give some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle4975 View Post
    Which fin do u use for freestyle?

My fins is
    Starfish b72 18,5cm for my 6,1 sail
    Starfish b72 17,5cm for my 4,8-5,6 sails
    Starfish nb61 16,5cm for my 3,8-4,4 Sails

Choco v-01 2 16cm for overpowered conditions with 3,8-4,8 Sails

I got maui ultra fins in same sizes as my choco fins and they are very nice as well.

I was looking at Rick Jendrusch's fin today and it seems shockingly small, even to me.

It's a 16.5cms fin and not that wide. But he seems happy with it on 4.4 sails and even 4.8. Then again, I'm guessing he doesn't weigh that much, 70kgs tops maybe.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, £490, Nuevo 73 2013 £550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here – contact via the weather thread!

I am 82 kg and mostly on my skate 93 2015, depends on the conditions.

I am not in doubt with my fin choise, just curious what other freestylers use of brand, type and lenght.

I feel like 18 cm gets my stock in double and tripple slide moves, but for air moves it does not matter as much.

I am trying to get my spock culo better and then land the lazy Susan more Than 1/10 times

I think there will be a lot of people reading this thread who would shocked at how small some freestylers go with their fins.

Having been surrounded in the past two months with people of all abilities – and with different interests in terms of their windsurfing – I think we can say that most recreational windsurfers will be on much bigger fins than those listed here so far.

The point being, that you have to list fin size according to the preferred sailing discipline of the windsurfer.

Top freestylers won't be seen dead on fins bigger than say 20cms, whereas recreational windsurfers would rarely be seen on fins smaller than 20cms.

Once you are on multi fin boards, it's perhaps about the combined fin cluster area, rather than about fin length.

At another extreme, slalom sailors then ride their boards off the fin, matching longer fins with wider boards used with bigger sails as a tuning device. In light airs their fin length might go up to the 50cms mark.

(I do appreciate this thread is in the freestyle section)
    Last edited by basher; 27th February 2015 at 05:23 PM.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, £490, Nuevo 73 2013 £550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here – contact via the weather thread!

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I think there will be a lot of people reading this thread who would shocked at how small some freestylers go with their fins.

Having been surrounded in the past two months with people of all abilities – and with different interests in terms of their windsurfing – I think we can say that most recreational windsurfers will be on much bigger fins than those listed here so far.

The point being, that you have to list fin size according to the preferred sailing discipline of the windsurfer.

Top freestylers won't be seen dead on fins bigger than say 20cms, whereas recreational windsurfers would rarely be seen on fins smaller than 20cms.

Once you are on multi fin boards, it's perhaps about the combined fin cluster area, rather than about fin length.

At another extreme, slalom sailors then ride their boards off the fin, matching longer fins with wider boards used with bigger sails as a tuning device. In light airs their fin length might go up to the 50cms mark.

(I do appreciate this thread is in the freestyle section)
    I agree with some of it,
    For beginners moves such as flaka, spock, funnel, eslider, loop and so on it Will be easier to learn with a 20-24cm fin cause of you have more controll and easier grip and a lot more forgiveness therefore.

When U are trying for more powered moves as double flaka, shaka flaka, skopu and kono with extra spin go for a smaller fin than 20cm at least.

For big moves such as double culo, Cana brava, shaka ponch and so go for a 16cm-18cm fin.

Notice i base This on my experience which mean on a 85-99 l fanatic skate board with a sailors wet weight a bit over 80kg with 3,8-4,8 Sails mostly used.

In depends alot for me on the conditions.
    How choppy and windy it is.