Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Balance Skills

Quote Originally Posted by Harald View Post
    I can walk a 20 meter slack line and then cross it again walking backwards. The end points are fastened 2 meters up in the air and midway the grass is tingling my feet. I do it once a year and seldom fall off. This is a relatively easy exercise compared to staying on a small wave board in shifty winds, that will submerge until there's water up to the first batten..
    I'm impressed. Haven't tried more than a few times but it felt difficult. By the way I'm not sure how much skills can be transferred between sports. Power- or brakeslides on wheels do however resemble sliding on boards. You sort of need to go with the flow. I'm not really proud of my top turns but have mostly managed to stay dry even when the board has threatened to do spin into full reverse. Must try the threesixty thing before I'm sixty.

The simplest rules for any balancing activity are to keep you head up ( not look at your feet but where you want to go), if possible keep you centre of balance low, and keep your legs and waist flexible. Those simple rules tralslate well into most windsurf disciplines but there are not the complete set. You also need to be proactive so as not to be a mere passenger, anticipate, and where necessary.....get aggressive!

Quote Originally Posted by BoredAtWork925 View Post
    I've got an uphill climb with my new sport of windsurfing then! I bought a slackline for my wife for Christmas last year and I can get halfway before I fall off! Mind you, I don't practise much because there's not much reward, whereas with windsurfing I love even just pootling along at 5 knots, so there's always an incentive to go out and practise, whatever the weather.
    Truth be told, I actually find a 10 meter line harder to walk than a longer one. When you walk a slack line you need to deal with line swing/resonance. A short line will have short but aggressive swing. It feels like the line is trying to shake you off. A 20 meter line is mellow. Although any error on your part will result in much greater line movement, the swing is not so violent thus easier to dampen, if you have the finesse to control it. A 25++ meter line without the proper tensioning system is difficult as the swing gets a 3rd harmonic...

When slack lining I keep my legs quite straight and can stand a long time balancing on one leg. It is easier to stand on one leg than walk, as you then can have the other leg to use as counter weight. When you are walking you are holding your complete body weight over one leg at the time, moving the other and shifting the complete weight. You need to trust your weight bearing leg and really push through it. Bending ze knees in "anticipation" of need for adjustment is faulty thinking. Think strong legs. Always look ahead at the fastener. Arms out the the sides. When I rest, I rest because my shoulders are burning like crazy.

Been trying to pull off standing wheelies on a bicycle for some time and have typically managed no more than about seven meters. Did more than twenty meters today on a slight upward slope. A few times. Yes I'm proud.

What this may have to do with balance skills, is I set myself a visual goal "at the top of the hill". That's where I wanted to go. I have of course set myself similar goals before but feel that I was more focused this time. But it was probably only the slope and some good luck and I will never be able to pull it off again.

ps. I know someone who can wheely any bike sitting or standing upwards or downwards until he falls asleep. But that doesn't help me much
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 3rd April 2015 at 01:52 AM.