Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fanatic Stubby

Fanatic Stubby

Just in case it has been missed elsewhere.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11501...50090144652913
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 00, B&J/Wave 00, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07

Sheffield sailing wherever there's wind and waves
    Looks nice, much nicer than the prototype in the boards annual. It is interesting how big a variation there is in the widths of the compact boards. This one is 57.5 compared to the Blackbox's 62 (for the same length and volume). My mootant which is a bit bigger in volume (95ish?) is 63 wide. It is going to be interesting to see how these designs evolve over the next couple of years as I think they will be here to stay. I can see real benefits in both good down the line and also poor wave conditions and I suspect we will see designs evolving differently to suit the two sides of wave sailing. I think the overall narrower and chopped off nose style with much straighter outline will suit down the line and the wider more traditional outline will suit all round conditions. Although it is clearer more complex than just that.
    Support British - Moo Custom, 5 Oceans and K4 fins

Interesting. Inspired by this perhaps?

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...ardid=vanguard

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Not too bad looking compared to the one Ezzy was on in the other thread.
    I bit of a sloppy finish in the tail release edge.
    Last edited by Navegante; 28th February 2015 at 10:02 AM.

I've seen this Fanatic board in the flesh and it looks pretty cool and funky, and it also looks 'right'.

I'd then say don't be fooled by the nose in the sense that the shape of the hull looks fairly conventional to me, once you get beyond the stubby wide nose and unique tail plan shape.

So, yes this is an unusual shape board, and may reflect a new look for our wave kit, going forward. But what I want to know is how the board with that sort of nose sails and how it pops over white water, and rides DTL in real waves etc.

I'd also be very wary of doing direct comparison between this and other 'stubby' boards in particular, the Blackbox and this Fanatic board are chalk and cheese in terms of their hull shapes and intended use. The different widths have already been noted, but the Blackbox also has way less rocker.

See also the other threads on this issue, such as Mungo's one here:

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showt...-shape-from-JP
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Attachment 11592 Attachment 11593I know! In French but better than nothing.

I'd love to try it. I agree it looks quite 'normal' if you can ignore the hacked off nose. But the wide tail and hull shape look fun. It would be good if the manufacturers of these unusual boards made one available for the public to have a go. I just think we would generally be too afraid to buy one without much real sailor feedback. I know you can do the OTC thing, but I think it would work if one appeared at your beach on a good day and everyone had a try. that way you get a bit of collective feedback from your peers.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."