Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Fanatic Stubby

I thought the Freewave was super easy to tack so I went to look at Fanatic's website.
    Freewave STB 85L = 225cm, Stubby 88L = 215cm, quite surprising...

Anyway, I thought the freewave's nose was catching often enough in messy conditions to affect the wave riding experience, how do full rail turns work out with the Stubby?
    Last edited by boards_Manuel; 25th September 2016 at 03:34 AM.

I sailed an Stubby 88 2017 yesterday that I demo and it is imo a very intersting shape.
    Planes and sails in a straight line like my 96l board and turns very very tight of the top while keeping lots of speed.
    I,m not sure if I would want such board as highwind board, but the 99 could be the perfect low wind board for me.
    The big centre fin was fine with 5.5 but it isallready so locked that I think it will be too big with 4.9 and 4.6
    188x90kg 42y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail 96l + Witchcraft V4 HDD + 2015 Goya Quad 118

2014/15/16 Hotsails Firelight 6.0 KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+Firelight3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

I am starting to get well dialled into my 77 now and agree with the previous comments.

For onshore riding it maintains speed brilliantly in the bottom turn then you can really smash it round the top. I've pulled off some belter top turns and yet the tail never seems to slide out, leaving you in fine shape for the next turn.

I would like to loosen up the bottom turns slightly and I'm going to try changing the stock fins (18/12/12 quite stiff) to K4s (probably 16/10/10)...will report back.

Early planing, speed, jumping all top notch.

Initially I thought the boxy rails wouldn't handle nuke wind well but I'm now starting to really enjoy it's fast frisky behaviour in full power conditions.

I'd also been concerned about tacking previously but interestingly my inside (port-starboard) tack success rate was at an alltime high yesterday. I think possibly this is because it keeps speed so well even into tacks which provides plenty of stability as you hop round the front.

Most of all it is providing a multitude of new challenges and surprises and I am looking forward to every session now even more which has really re-invigorated my sailing.

Can't wait to see how it performs in cross/cross-off dtl, if I ever get the chance instead of on my 90L, as it would need to be non gusty full power dtl which rarely occurs apart from at Moulay perhaps.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Thought I'd add to this after sailing my 88 for first time on Sunday @ kBay. I'm 85kg and come to it from Fanatic 82 & 94 Quads. The 88 was set up with mast track middle, fins middle (19cm middle), 5.3 sail, straps forward (the distance between them is greater than on my quad by didn't notice it) - So initial 15 mins impression was, this feels a bit weird, the nose looks wide and maybe vulnerable (remember JP RWW?). Wind was a bit light to start and I found pumping a little different, maybe as length is shorter. Bearing right off wind helps to get planning, then gets up to speed quickly and yes it really does fly upwind. It feels fast underfoot, small and compact. Going front side (it was quite onshore at kbay so was pushing it a bit) I didn't feel entry into the turn was vastly different to quads (maybe a little stiffer feeling-less willing to be banked in really hard) through the turn well and off the top was all good - I quite like the slidy feel of quads at top, the stubby seemed less keen to break out but I was very over rotated in top turn and maybe me.

In straight line I think stubby is more comfortable than my quads ( which are not good at straight with lots of chop.) - I did have a few spin outs at speed (but there was a lot of weed about and this may have been reason).

In summary, I liked it - the nose remains a bit of a distraction as it does look odd when sailing (looks right on beach) - I will be putting some smaller k4 fins on and adjusting mast track positions next to find optimum.

I think the 88 will cover 80% of my sailing (which is mainly 4.7 and 5.3 weather) - can I stretch it to a 4.2 and 5.9 I will try at some point. Maybe I need the 77 to go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabee View Post
    I am starting to get well dialled into my 77 now and agree with the previous comments.

For onshore riding it maintains speed brilliantly in the bottom turn then you can really smash it round the top. I've pulled off some belter top turns and yet the tail never seems to slide out, leaving you in fine shape for the next turn.

I would like to loosen up the bottom turns slightly and I'm going to try changing the stock fins (18/12/12 quite stiff) to K4s (probably 16/10/10)...will report back.

Early planing, speed, jumping all top notch.

Initially I thought the boxy rails wouldn't handle nuke wind well but I'm now starting to really enjoy it's fast frisky behaviour in full power conditions.

I'd also been concerned about tacking previously but interestingly my inside (port-starboard) tack success rate was at an alltime high yesterday. I think possibly this is because it keeps speed so well even into tacks which provides plenty of stability as you hop round the front.

Most of all it is providing a multitude of new challenges and surprises and I am looking forward to every session now even more which has really re-invigorated my sailing.

Can't wait to see how it performs in cross/cross-off dtl, if I ever get the chance instead of on my 90L, as it would need to be non gusty full power dtl which rarely occurs apart from at Moulay perhaps.
    You were ripping on it sunday Hazza. Not that I watch you all the time of course, but I don't think I've seen you wave riding at hove as well as that before...
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. £80

PM me for more details/pics.

Thanks the board is definitely helping

Saw you bottle a chance for a forward off a perfect looking ramp
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Sailed today the Stubby88 with 4.0 and that is as easy as with 5.5 last sunday and 4.9 yesterday.
    Changing the centrefin to 15cm helps a lot in making it a bit more slidey, but not really necessary as the standard combo works good enough.
    Had a fun day with it!
    188x90kg 42y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail 96l + Witchcraft V4 HDD + 2015 Goya Quad 118

2014/15/16 Hotsails Firelight 6.0 KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+Firelight3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak