Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Flare 98 vs Kode 103

Hi,

I own a SB Flare 98. I am riding it with a 24 cm cross over fin from Drake.

Nowadays, I think of buying a Kode 103. However, when I compare the width and the tail width of both boards, I can see no difference.

My question is; if I put a 30 cm cross over fin to my Flare, will it act like more FSW oriented (like the Kode) or it will keep its FS character?

I am 85 kg, using/will be using the board(s) with 5.3 and 6.1 sails in chop.

Thanks,

us

the drake fin is what will make you freestyle board feel mostly like a fsw.

Compared to a fsw board it Will be be:
    Harder To sail(more technical)
    Harder to cross on and controll
    Harder to carve, tack and jibe
    Easier to jump and possible to slide.

The kode os a not at all anyway near the flare, if you want a fsw you should go for it.

But if you only want it for freeride i am can not recommend A fsw.

6,1 is pretty big for your flare...

I am 84 kgs and use 3,8-4,2-4,8 on my freestyle board 93l
    Last edited by freestyle4975; 3rd March 2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by usspeedsurfer View Post
    Hi,

I own a SB Flare 98. I am riding it with a 24 cm cross over fin from Drake.

Nowadays, I think of buying a Kode 103. However, when I compare the width and the tail width of both boards, I can see no difference.

My question is; if I put a 30 cm cross over fin to my Flare, will it act like more FSW oriented (like the Kode) or it will keep its FS character?

I am 85 kg, using/will be using the board(s) with 5.3 and 6.1 sails in chop.

Thanks,

us

That version of the freestyle Flare was an easy to sail board and pretty fast as it's quite narrow compared to other freestyle boards of a similar volume.
    Whereas the Kode 103 is quite a bit wider and should plane earlier.
    The Kode comes with the 30cms fin, and that should fit in the Flare as they were both US box heads at that stage.
    But a 30cms fin is huge for a freestyle board and will be best for blasting around rather than for freestyle moves. (I don't know anybody who uses a fin as long as that in a freestyle board.)

Are you hoping to own both boards, or were you asking if just putting a longer fin in your Flare would give you a better sail range?
    I'd say ditch the Flare and just use the Kode, which is a versatile board and one better suited to the sail sizes you mention.
    Last edited by basher; 3rd March 2015 at 08:38 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Have to disagree abit with basher, the flare 2010-2011 have the fin very forward compared to 2014-2015 freestyle boards. So the flare 2011 has a pretty big surface when planning, and i dont think it is faster.
    My Gps says otherwise and the boards has allmost same average planing and top speed.

The flare is like basher says a very easy freestyle board to sail and has allways been a very foregiven board but compared to a fsw, a fsw is still way easier to controll and sail

My experence of Flares is they are not that happy in chop, the older ones had starboards slalom board rocker line. So we're bloody quick, not sure if that's true for the recent line up. So if your sailing in chop and your not doing any freestyle go for the Kode. If your going to be blasting in flat water a big fin in the Flare would probably be worth trying. The kodes 30cm fin is going to be a bit large for the sails you use 23cm-28cms probably a more reasonable size, depending on whether you want control or early planning. FSWs and freerides all ways seem to come with a massive fin . The Kodes a nice board and more in the blasting and bump and jump part of the FSW envelope, than wave or freestyle.

Thanks for the comments.

I use my Flare for freestyle. However, I have to confess, that I am not very good at it . I am a very experienced sailor, but mainly in slalom (and too old for radical new school FS tricks)

I do enjoy on the other hand FSW boards very much. Instead of selling the Flare, I was thinking to put this 30 cm fin on it and use it as a FSW. However, I understand from your suggestions, that the flare will not be feeling like the Kode even with that fin...

I think, I will keep my Flare for my "wonderful" freestyle tricks, and buy also the Kode 103!!!

Thank you all

Maybe the new kode 103 is as good for freestyle (basic newschool) as the flare 98 is.

Basher and Freestyle4975, did you try the kode 103 for Freestyle ?

Shape wise the SB kode 103 looks a bit like de fanatic skate 100 bgs. Especially with the big thick tail:
    http://cliniquedelaplanche.files.wor...07/rrr-010.jpg