Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2010 jp and newer boards

Hello
    I have a 2010 jp freestyle 99L board. I use it mainly just for flatwater freestyle bot the occasional freeride/bumpnjump stuff in choppy conditions. My freestyle level is low, landing vulcans and spocks and next going for grubbys.

Its tricky getting gear up here in iceland but i might have the option later this spring. -so i was wondering, im happy with my jp freestyle, best board purchase i have done, but it is also the only freestyle board i have sailed so i have no comparison. For the basic freestyle im doing would it make much difference getting a new board? The 2010 jp is quite long, almost 240 if i remember correctly so im thinking it might be fun to sail something shorter.

I can't decide for you, but I got a massive lift when upgrading from '07 Tabou Freestyle 110 (242x68cm) to '13 JP Freestyle 107 (228x67cm). The JP does everything better. Way less drag, higher speed, pop, better switch sailing. The lesser float suits me better. The board can spin quite fast; some times my vulcan attempts became spocks without the proper rig movements = crash. I learned to spock on the JP. This year I went a bit crazy and got the new JP 106 (227x65.5cm).. haven't sailed it yet.

For spocks, grubbies, flaka it Is going to be a bit easier to stay oVer the nose. The new boards pops easier as well.but at your level you will not notice huge differents.

Thanks for the info mr Freestyle

Im not going to rush getting a new board but if i can sell my board and get another one over after 2 weeks when some pros are coming over it might not be a bad idea just to skip shipping costs. Now its great to have your user review thread

I know this is very off topic but just curious as to how many months a year you sail in Iceland? Must be pretty windy up there. A definite destination for me, mainly for kayaking though!

I just upgraded my 8 or 9 year old RRD Twintip to a 2015 Skate. Hoping to sail after work today so let's see if it's very different. Should be!

(As for getting equipment, I share you pain. No shop in South Africa sells freestyle boards, and I looked for over a year on the 2nd hand market but nothing. Just loads of wave boards. I had to specially order the board which took 2 months.)

It will be interesting to hear your view on the difference between the two boards Waterman I sail all year long up here but that means many sessions around freezing temps. Winters vary a bit, this one was stormy, snowy and cold so december through feb i only got about 3 sessions or something. Other winters it can be quite good with lots of swell and regularly sessions with warmish weather.

You are obviously a tough man! Freezing is something I think of when it comes to windsurfing... hehe. I will report back later or tomorrow. Wind is gusting around 20 knots so should be a sweet session. 90 minutes of work left:
    http://www.wunderground.com/personal...ERN142#current