Page 1 of 195 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Windsurfing on a hydrofoil.

The AHD foil has been available for a few years, but so far not made much impact.

I noticed 24-7 Boardsports are going to get the Horue windsurf foil in to see how it goes.

According to this, he is going to ride in 11 knots with a 4.7m sail, and in the video he is riding with the 4.7m sail (white North sail) and it may be the same session where he was saying the wind was 11 knots.

https://www.facebook.com/Horuefoil/p...type=1&theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_oifeSEkw

It does seem that the development of foils has taken them to the level where there may be some point to using one other than it's a different experience.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 24th April 2015 at 06:12 PM.

The 6 grand price tag for the AHD was a little steep- Horgue is a much more realistic proposition. I might get one for ***** and giggles one day
    hostis humani generis

there's one down at solent sailboards. I think someone is on it RIGHT NOW. WTF? OMG TTFN.

You've seen the article in the current issue of boards on this, right?

(OK. Just me then.)
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    For those of you that can read French
    Or have the iq to use a translator

http://www.windsurfing33.com/forum/v...ec0a75c26e2754

Foils are are kind of becoming old news down south by now...

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    The 6 grand price tag for the AHD was a little steep- Horgue is a much more realistic proposition. I might get one for ***** and giggles one day
    I'd wait a little. There are two designs directly competing the Horue and the GP Georges Paya/Makofoil that seems to be easier to ride on meaning the balance of foil board and rig uprightness being easier to combine...

Horue is coming with a new version too.

So from what I have found out the existing second hand foils are better left alone until a couple of versions come out. Even if they are affordable at about 900€...

I am not so sure about hydrofoils in their current incarnation. There are 2-3 windsurf hydrofoils at Crissy (in San Francisco) and people are still learning the ropes on them. They all seem to have problems staying on the hydrofoil during a jibe or tack.

Much more common are Kite hydrofoils, of which there is a relatively large fleet. They are more efficient than non-hydrofoil kites (that are pretty dismal actually) and they seem the only type of Kite that can be used safely at Crissy with its big currents and wind drops.

But ... they are slow! and I mean very slow. Sure they have a great upwind and straight down wind angle and in a triangle competition they are sure winners, but they are often slower than my RRD FSW 85 (yes, it is VERY much fun to pass a ultra-high-tech Kite on hydrofoil with a 5.0 sail!). And ... they are BIG: huge contraptions that make a windsurf look so simple by comparison. And ... I am not even sure about efficiency: people are using 15-18 even 20 square meters on those things, and then yes they go up in little wind. But put a 10 on them and the range seems the same of a 6.0/100 windsurf.

So, by extension I am not so sure a windsurf hydrofoil is such a great idea. If it was as fast and maneuverable as a regular windsurf yes, but I do not think we are there yet.
    Last edited by duzzi; 25th April 2015 at 06:43 AM.