Page 105 of 426 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 155 205 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    That is very impressive. On Windsurfing33 there is an interesting post on sail sizes. Here we go googlr-translated. The quiver suggested at the bottom is game changing!

To return to the subject I would say first:
    What is the veil of correspondence between fin and foil.
    We read here and there 2m2 less and foil, but what is valid in the 6m2 to 12m2 will not ...
    I would say 30% less area for the foil, which gives:
    - ---- Fin foil:
    - 6m2 --- 4.2m2
    - 8m2 --- 5.6m2
    - 10m2 7m2 ---
    - 12m2 --- 8.4m2

I take my case, my sails are 11.8, 7.9, 7.1 and 6.2m2 in slalom and 5.7 and 4.5 in wave ...
    The formula is already sold, and I have the impression of hovering at least as early as in foil 7.9 11.8 spoiler.
    11.8 8.3 correspond wing foil, except a large sailing formula is rather thin as punchy (compared to a free race), so this is quite consistent ... My impression is that has speed equal wind the laughing stock the foil hand faster (provided of course knowing pump).

If the wind picks up a bit I spend foil 7.1, which corresponds to 10.1 spoiler, so if the wind is a little stronger in foil 7.9 is far too early to switch to 7.9 spoiler, and it we have all noticed ...

So now I'm comfortable in foil 6.2, it would flap 8.9, which means that I will not be far from good with my 7.9 spoiler ...
    Besides the other day I pulled in foil 5.7 (video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdt3npOGJkw), which corresponds to 8.1 spoiler, as saying that the 7.9 would be OK in spoiler this is also the feeling that I had, except that it seems like forever with the 5.7 and 2 strokes pumpings I will not be gone as fast with 7.9 and spoiler.

So to be ready in slalom in maximum wind conditions, I just turned 8, 6.5 and 5.6 for example, and I sail from 8 to 40 knots; I take 6.5 foil before 8 spoiler and when the conditions are good in 8 fin is similar in foil 5.6 ...
    8m2 foil is equivalent to 11.4m2 fin and foil 6.5m2 corresponds to 9.3 spoiler.
    My foil then allows me to make the economy of 11.4 and a 9.3, plus a mat of 5.5m and 4.9m, and a large whisbone ... And now that I have tasted the foil I think more refill a large tarp ...

For a template of about 100kg 8m2, 6,5m2 and 5.6m2 can cover a maximum of conditions.
    For a template of 70 kg should be 6.3m2, 5.1m2 and 4.4 m2, 6.3 foil giving a 9m2 equivalent fin and foil 5.1 equivalent to 7.3 spoiler. Not on a 70K template I need more 9m2 fin ... and foil 4.4 is the equivalent of 6.3 spoiler.
    Good post Duzzi...( seriously) I used to find sail choice difficult...( and crucial) Cleared that all up now !!! ����
    Last edited by Alphie; 10th September 2016 at 08:34 AM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    That is a very useful porst.

Lousy translation though but very useful.

It is also very useful because the poster has a also posted the experience of his son at 70 kg.

So it is possible to extrapolate between 100 kg and 85 kg and give us an idea of how it can go for us average guys.

There is also a poster of about 85 kg that has bought a Horue Tiny 110 with a Ultra light and light wind foil, what I have ordered so of much interest to me but I guess that my choice is within the average new foil user range.

I find it sad that www.windsurfing33.com has a whole section dedicated to Foils http://www.windsurfing33.com/forum/v...0bb65bafd0682d
    while here in this forum (can we still call it that) we have a handful of guys arguing (many times obtusely) about weather it has a reason to exist or not in windsurfing or kiting.

There is a lot of, now, first hand information in those pages where people embrace the discussion with open minds and are happy to express the joy of new experiences.
    They are happy to constructively exchange experiences and or modify possible preconceptions!

While here, well here we are in the era of the teak boom still, comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeonarope View Post
    Back door to beach? Zeeko, Tarroa, Spotz, Alpine, Moses, Levitaz, Ketos, Liquid Force, F-one, North, Cabrinha, Slingshot, Naish, to name a few.

Almost all commercially available foils come from tooled up manufacturers. You can absolutely get custom, but it's the fringe, and that statement came straight out your back door!

Re: both inflatable and TT foils in kiting. It's not cost. Standard twintip construction is dirt cheap. How much is that thing in your garage supposed to sell for? It exists to milk the geek squad. Pure and simple. Tools designed for riders who don't have the skills or the brains to know they have been fleeced. To sit on the sidelines afraid of learning to jibe, while the real deal develops to levels of true refinement, only to jump in when these types of things begin to drop. Astounding!
    Your perception is based on your US experience here in Europe, post the crash things are a bit different, Liquid Force had a little breakthrough last season and Slingshot with their tri mast thing could have got some traction this, but it's the French & Italian brands that dominate kite foiling here and they deal direct.

As to the other question re this twin foil I guess it works because the rear foil acts as a stabiliser when it's running inefficiently backwards, not that I have any great confidence drawn from personal experience, all I know from one of the guys that has ridden it, it handles totally different from conventional front foot loaded foils and more emphasis has to be placed on an even stance which is probably why it's still sat in the Garage here untried.

My Englishy isn't that bod is it Nave??

On sail sizes...Might be reading it wrong but suggestion was smallest sail of 5.6 for a 100k rider, I,d always assumed windfoiler can use around 20% smaller, my smallest sail is 4.0..( and used frequently in Leucate) ?? I,d guess smallest sail could be smaller. ( should be)..Wouldnt fancy overpowered and windfoil ?
    OT...BTW Nave ,sold house in France..dropped in euro ( around 12%) ..but its gone.��

No, I mean the automatic web translator job is lousy. However there is a better chance of getting a better reading if one uses bing and google to translate the same page, then compare the reading.

These guys in the French forums are saying that one can go as far as 30% smaller.
    That said the point at which one passes from windfoil to windsurfing with the same rig needs to be found for each individual,
    there seems to still be a gap in which if the wind speed is up and you want to leave the foil and pass to fin use there seems to be a 0.8 m2 spread. Meaning one still may need to have two rigs ready.

Another thing that seems to happen is that the most dedicated of these guys have reduced the amount of boards and rigs that they now need.
    So the larger 9.5 and wider boards for light winds have fallen into disuse because the ease of glide provided by the ultra light and light wind foils, in practice, makes that gear not to be used as before foiling.

House, so you are a foreigner now... will you still be travelling south?

cheers

Yep, will be visiting friends etc..and need a last trip to fetch toys back and sign contracts. Sold up in Jamaica too....( hopefully) ��