Page 426 of 426 FirstFirst ... 326 376 416 422 423 424 425 426
Results 2,976 to 2,980 of 2980
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    Lovely,it seems to be the one to have ... still undecided about the board ... RRD Slalom 114 (or similar) or a foil specific like the Starboard 122 ...
    I am not a good one to ask, maybe, because I bought the Horue package of foil and dedicated board and it just works. But the board is not as useful for just Windsurfing. It still needs a fairly deep fin.
    So as a foil/board assembly it is great.

I also have a Goya Proton 116l/71 wide but I have not tried the foil with it yet.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    PS: I think that a board that is dedicated to the foil you are using makes for success easier to be achieved

HI

I am a windsurfer now planning to go into windfoiling, but I am literally horrified about coughing up $ 3000 to join the bandwagon of the carbon devotees windfoiling elects…. This is why I am considering DIY’ing. I have seen DIY’ers building the gear with an oak core reinforced by 3 layers of mixed fiberglas and carbon mesh for $ 200 !
    In this connection, I have a couple of questions.

1. Rear “ stabilizer “ wing. What if I use only the main forward wing? I am at the preliminary design stage and , according to the Bernoulli equation, a 900 cm2 wing would generate ample power ( Nt or Kg) to lift me and the board and rig in low winds..Do I really need the rear wing?
    I should add that the board I shall be using for wind foiling is a 11.5 ft Bic Windsup . The board is very wide ( 80 cm) and this should give it enough stability to do without the rear wing.

2. I plan to DIY the mast simply with a pine wood core wrapped in two layers of fiberglas, no carbon. The mast won’t be as stiff as carbon and it will certainly sway and torque a bit. I’ll contain the swaying by guying down the mast to the sides of the board ( using the two small side thrusters as anchor points).
    In the end, there will always be some swaying .Is there any room for it, or will it kill the lift, however slight?

3. Mounting plate for the mast.
    I cannot use the fin box of my Bic because it is a US box and it might break. The only way to go is to glue the plate to the board. I had some fears it might come off until I tested a U.S. marine epoxy (J-B Weld 8272) with extremely good results. The manufacturer claims it has a bonding strength of 3900 psi ! As a test, I glued two .50 sqin metal brackets back to back. The next day I put them in a vise and I tried to pull them apart with pliers, with a considerable strength. They didn’t come apart! Only the metal bent slightly! I will glue six of these brackets to hold he plate!I am sure it will hold.
    The only question is : if the glue is so strong, may be the weaker part will yield and the board itself can delaminate. Can it? On the Bic, the outer shell is very strong epoxy , nothing like many, perhaps most of todays feather-weight shortboards, which sacrifice sturdiness to speed

As a concluding remark, I will say that no doubt manufacturers have found in carbon a new venue for a quick buck, no doubt taking advantage of the current craze surrounding foiling. May be it is the law of demand and offer and they are simply taking advantage of the gullibility of some with money to throw away, Wouldn’t the much cheaper material used for regular windsurfing fins do?

By the way, one of these foil manufacturers spins their 100% carbon ware in a video where a carbon hydrofoil mast laid between two chairs supports an 85 kg person standing on it. without breaking.
    A marvelous feat, indeed, but does everybody really need it to foil in light winds at 12-15 knts? It is like buying a Hummer truck to go to the office every day on the highway.

Even allowing for the considerable hydrodynamic forces generated in wind foiling, I find it difficult to believe that they come even close to the dead weight of an 85 kg man standing on the carbon mast!
    Any comments on all this, particularly points 1, 2 and 3 above?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Ittiandro, this forum's dead. Some of us have migrated to the windsurf.co.uk forum if you want ask there instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Ittiandro, this forum's dead. Some of us have migrated to the windsurf.co.uk forum if you want ask there instead.
    Thanks for telling me, but I am unable to post on the windsurf.co.uk forum. I try to register, but I get a message that I am temporarily locked out and to try later. Why?. I can't understand, unless this Forum is dead too..Any help?

Thanks

Ittiandro