Page 51 of 426 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast
    I know that the pictures of people doing stunts on hydrofoils is fun, however surely the point is to get planning earlier and be more efficient in the sub force 4ish area? I would think that it would be more fun to sail a normal board in winds greater than this? As mr Naish showed us, jumping on foils can go wrong quite quickly, plus expensive if you start snapping your new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by crossy5575 View Post
    I know that the pictures of people doing stunts on hydrofoils is fun, however surely the point is to get planning earlier and be more efficient in the sub force 4ish area? I would think that it would be more fun to sail a normal board in winds greater than this? As mr Naish showed us, jumping on foils can go wrong quite quickly, plus expensive if you start snapping your new toy!
    I think most people will be happy if a hydrofoil allows them to sail a 120 litre or smaller board with smaller sails in light wind, and would be happy to be able to gybe it foiling.

There seems to be a discussion on this French forum about foils for racing and foils for early planing.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...00&prev=search

It will be interesting to see if the RS:X convertible foil can combine early lift off and high board speed/wind speed ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_ronnie View Post
    I think most people will be happy if a hydrofoil allows them to sail a 120 litre or smaller board with smaller sails in light wind, and would be happy to be able to gybe it foiling.
    Just the same as most people on normal boards then - mowing the lawn is good enough. I like the idea of being able to do a bit more than that, but I'm not sure about jumping, and especially looping, with all those sharp bits sticking so far out the bottom of the board!

Whilst I'm sure most people will focus on light winds, it'll be very interesting to see what they can do when its windier. Not that I'd particularly want to use one when its windy (don't we have enough fun then already!) just that its fun to see people pushing the envelope. I'm glad there is a crazy frenchman on the case to keep us entertained!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    Just the same as most people on normal boards then - mowing the lawn is good enough. I like the idea of being able to do a bit more than that, but I'm not sure about jumping, and especially looping, with all those sharp bits sticking so far out the bottom of the board!

Whilst I'm sure most people will focus on light winds, it'll be very interesting to see what they can do when its windier. Not that I'd particularly want to use one when its windy (don't we have enough fun then already!) just that its fun to see people pushing the envelope. I'm glad there is a crazy frenchman on the case to keep us entertained!
    One thing that the foil brings is that you will have a 3' wave available at any time - even in flat water.
    So a freestyler will be able to get a lot more height (as long as they are landing going forward). Back loop, push loop, and even potentially an Air Skopu into Burner - like this?
    http://www.continentseven.com/air-sk...hugo-de-sousa/

For sure it will rule the light wind arena, but many kiters are finding it hard to enjoy their old surface riding boards unless conditions are optimal. Once you lose all that chop and drag its hard to go back even if it is windy. I first thought I would only foil in light wind, but now foil up well into winds I could ride another board, but the sea state is simply more fun on a foil. Anything choppy or gusty or holey I'd rather foil. Small kite on a foil tames conditions well up into the 20's (knots). No desire to jump it. Just carve the crap out of everything! Have definitely moved away from straight line riding for all but simply getting upwind. Carvey carvey carvey is all I wanna do.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeonarope View Post
    For sure it will rule the light wind arena, but many kiters are finding it hard to enjoy their old surface riding boards unless conditions are optimal. Once you lose all that chop and drag its hard to go back even if it is windy. I first thought I would only foil in light wind, but now foil up well into winds I could ride another board, but the sea state is simply more fun on a foil. Anything choppy or gusty or holey I'd rather foil. Small kite on a foil tames conditions well up into the 20's (knots). No desire to jump it. Just carve the crap out of everything! Have definitely moved away from straight line riding for all but simply getting upwind. Carvey carvey carvey is all I wanna do.
    That could skew the market toward boards which are for foil only - if you have good access to deep enough water. It will be interesting to see how waterstarting versus uphauling works with windfoil boards, but it is an advantage for windfoilers that they could have a board you could stand on and sail in if the wind drops too low to waterstart.

The Tiny Pro board is already very short at 169cm for the 70L, and maybe they will somehow become even more compact, if things like sails are developed specifically for windfoiling.

It does seem that about 8 knots is the potential low end for easy windfoiling, and maybe it will take athletes with good pumping skills to extend that down to 5 knots, but that is just a guess as the moment.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 14th May 2016 at 03:03 PM.

Another picture of a Gaastra windfoil project, with a very raked forward 'mast'.

http://www.windsurfing33.com/forum/v...4be70&start=60
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 14th May 2016 at 03:08 PM.