Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How long is your reach?

Intensity is needed if you want to improve as a windsurfer. How many seconds or minutes do you normally stay on a reach before doing a transition? And what stops you from doing (even) shorter reaches?

Normally 2.2 miles as the crow flies ...probably 2.5 with alterations to course for wind shift etc....... which equates to about 5 minutes..........have to turn at that point or crash into an Island!

Looking at my gopro vids I'd say often 30-60 seconds at my local freestyle spot. The longer reaches are good for relaxing and getting upwind.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    Intensity is needed if you want to improve as a windsurfer. How many seconds or minutes do you normally stay on a reach before doing a transition? And what stops you from doing (even) shorter reaches?

Interesting question let's see if there's an interesting answer.

How about the length of distance you travel out on a windsurfer is enough to allow you to return to the same spot once you've made the turn?
    So, the length of the leg before a gybe or tack is a function of how well you sail upwind, or is down to the type of kit you are on, or else is down to the wind and water conditions.

Someone who simply 'enjoys the ride' might ride on for miles before making a turn. Someone who is frightened of gybing might do the same thing.
    A wave sailor might turn as soon as he meets a suitable wave to gybe on, but he too may have to spend some time working his way back upwind after a down the line ride.
    The freestyle board goes upwind well, but the competent freestyler might do multiple moves on one tack which take him downwind, then meaning he has to work his way back upwind.

Some locations have an adverse current which might add to the downwind issue whereas other places might have a favourable current which allows for shorter legs before a turn.

So, there is no right answer, and any sailor will have to vary the leg sailed before a turn in the different conditions on the day.
    Last edited by basher; 11th May 2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Length of reach at my sailing spot, 2.1 miles.
    Length of reach I do before jibing? Depends what I'm working on. For top speed trim, longer reaches. For jibe prowess, shorter reach's. For looking for jumps, stay in the zone where the windswells are highest and correctly angled. For just cruising and killing time, go the full distance. For working on specific tricks, and I'm remedial at best, try a trick every 10 seconds or whenever your heartrate drops down to managable.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Always to the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Always to the horizon.
    Good answer.

I usually do a mixture of long and short on my slalom boards.

2000m was the longest reach here, although you can see there is scope for a longer one when the wind is in the right direction. It was ESE this day. Ive done the wide shot to show other areas I sail at although there are a lot more.

2200m at Studland. Freeride kit. Most reaches are shorter as I turn when there is a bit of swell to gybe off. That black line at the top is a rock groyne just under the water unless its a low tide.

Sandbanks, 600m. Most were 500m. The longer ones were when we were discussing the downwind race at Langebaan. I didn't go that far out to sea as I was on my own.

Evening Hill, 1500m. One of the flattest areas of water in the area is the one between the launch point and the marina at the top when its mid tide. Its about 500m long.

Last edited by phil_in_poole; 12th May 2015 at 09:14 AM.