Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    One facet of long reaches is the point at which you lose sight of your home beach. I am lucky in that I can do that in relative safety because where I sail it is about 2 miles from the beach out to one of 3 Islands so I am never actually more than 1 mile from a shore. Years a go there used to be an organised annual mass excursion out to the Isle of White and back from Sandbanks beach. There is something that adds to the sense of detachment from everyday life when you lose sight of land. I would not want to be doing a 33 nm trip out like Nav without some form of safety cover though!

[QUOTE=basher;1014522When sailing in waves, staying upwind is also about using the waves and any current to optimal effect, and those factors may determine your moment to turn.[/QUOTE]

In all sorts if sailing it's also useful to take advantage of changes in the wind direction. One problem is that when starting to loose ground when going out one may not be certain whether it's down to bad sailing, an unfavourable current or - actually - a turning of the wind. If you're also not sure if you can stay dry through your tack or gybe, the inclination to keep going will be strong. Bad news if the wind shifts back when you finally turn, haha

Not sure that's on topic Thomas – and I'd add that an understanding of wind shifts and how they can be used to make ground upwind is a good thing to learn.
    Now back in the UK.

I do actually cruise around islands sometimes my self. And I do mess up my tacks. And I don't always react smartly to currents or windshifts or lulls or whatever. But I keep getting better at most things. Except from packing up in time! Almost got a tendonites the other day from oversailing with gloves and thick boom after four weeks off the water. Green boom now on order - you know the stupidly stiff and thin sort that will break my ribs.

Late edit: Oops, I must be way off shore, I mean off topic!
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 13th May 2015 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    Late edit: Oops, I must be way off shore, I mean off topic!

green boom ? stupidly stiff and thin ... Slim ? (but my wife's is black / red).
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post

green boom ? stupidly stiff and thin ... Slim ? (but my wife's is black / red).
    Haven't asked but the one I ones tried was green. Al 360. Slim 140.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 14th May 2015 at 03:28 PM.

Yep, very nice boom (although a little too narrow for my hands). I noticed the other day that the TWS rental centre here has them. Pretty deluxe boom for a rental (off-shore / OT plug for my local rental).

Anyway, back on topic ... if you rent from them and want to sail to the waves, you do long reaches upwind for about ten minutes to get there, followed by short reaches for your wave session, and then a couple of long broad reaches back. A good balance in other words.
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.