Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speed loop attempts

I posted on the loop club thread also so sorry for the double post but here are my speed loop attempts from yesterday if anyone wants to comment. Thanks!

Keep your direction more half wind for take off.
    Keep Your vision further back and throw the sail more forward.
    First jump then throw the sail.

A bit overpowered is easier and the a top tip is to let the sail turn the board downwind, not your body.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle4975 View Post
    Keep your direction more half wind for take off.
    Keep Your vision further back and throw the sail more forward.
    First jump then throw the sail.

A bit overpowered is easier and the a top tip is to let the sail turn the board downwind, not your body.
    Thanks!!! The rig throw is pretty much missing altogether from my attempts! I'm doing too much like a grubby and don't really feel the "whip". I got board speed but not enough pull in the sail. If I feel overpowered I don't (yet!) go for them . Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    Thanks!!! The rig throw is pretty much missing altogether from my attempts! I'm doing too much like a grubby and don't really feel the "whip". I got board speed but not enough pull in the sail. If I feel overpowered I don't (yet!) go for them . Sad but true.
    It is gotta be like a harness crash in the air

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    Thanks!!! The rig throw is pretty much missing altogether from my attempts!
    key thing is to make sure that your front arm is really extended as you take off. Like a flare gybe. Then you will get the 'whip round'.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    key thing is to make sure that your front arm is really extended as you take off. Like a flare gybe. Then you will get the 'whip round'.
    Thanks! I tried yesterday (video) to extend the front arm but found it hard. It looks easy in the attached file (speedloop.png) but hard to do. On flat water I dig the nose in now earlier so the attempts look worse than the on last video because now on many times I don't rotate. I thought I was close but my technique was wrong so I have to work on it. In a way I find the flakas hard for the same reason: throwing the rig at pop but that's another story .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedloop.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	12219  

Just saw the video. Awesome, makes it so easy to understand. I cannot loop but I consider myself a speed loop exercise expert!
    First you cannot sheet in before sending the nose up, as a matter of fact you need to sheet out.
    So sheet out, push down on the board, pull up on the boom, now you are in the picture like above (which is exactly what you need to do for a speed loop), your body is neutral over the board, then sheet in and tuck your rear leg under. The more windward you send the mast as you sheet in the more sideways you'll turn. The more away from the wind the more endo.

So concentrate on sending the nose up and putting your body neutral over the board.
    I really like doing the exercises because it allows me to practice the sail motion without worrying about having the perfect conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Z9I646smI