Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jibe and accidental hook in fear

I'm working on planing slalom jibes but I'm stumbling over fear of accidental hook in at the sail flip.

In the vid below the moment I'm worried happens at 11-12 sec mark and the sail is about to be flipped right after the foot step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Fsg4VeKfg

Obviously I'm nowhere near the level of the french team, but that's the goal at least. I feel like the fear of the accidental hook in is really holding me back.

I have seat harness and very long chinook adjustable harness lines that swing quite a bit when I'm trying to flip the sail aggressively.

Would a waist harness help? Seems like all the top sailors are using waist even in formula.

The only time you are going to hook in accidentally is if you are stood too upright and hug the rig! Just go for it...the harness lines will be miles away.

In my opinion the best harness lines do not "swing"..........I use Dakine and North both of which have a little flex in the fixings, enough to enable them to drop from the hook when you release the pressure, but do not swing back and forth like bits of wet string. If your harness lines are like that, get some decent ones!

You do want some swing in the lines. That's what allows the line to drop away from you when you unhook and lean over the rig in a good gybe.

It's the rigid lines which are the worst causing you to re-hook in when choking the rig in a turn. We've all been there.
    Now back in the UK.

I prefer a rigid line that is angled such that when I hook out, the lines move towards the sail and out of the way. Floppy harness lines are very annoying for me. I've hooked in several times gybing or even wave riding and then taking a beating in the waves still hooked is rarely pleasant

As in all sports, the mental aspect is important. Go into a normally powered gybe and stay hooked in and gybe with knees nicely bent and commit. Eventually you'll fall onto the sail at a low speed, and you won't damage anything. Don't let go of the boom. You'll find it's not that scary perhaps, and that's when you'll improve quicker. Try it on some smaller wave kit. The light wind sails and boards don't enjoy abuse - just in case you really pawn it.
    Last edited by Waterman47; 10th June 2015 at 06:04 AM.

Why are you worried? If you get hooked in during the rig flip, you just fall in. It's happened to me a couple of times and it's the mildest of falls you can have. Remember that there's virtually no power in the rig during the gybe. The board just slows down and the sail sheets out and then slowly goes in. You have loads of time to get out of the harness and you will fall on top of the rig not under it. Maybe you need to try a gybe where you don't unhook to give yourself the confidence that you can handle the fall.

If this does happen, you know though that you are bending your front arm. As long as you keep your front arm straight, the rig will be way too far away from you to get caught on the line. It's only ever happened to me in very light wind where you're stranding quite upright.
    Last edited by Capie; 10th June 2015 at 07:04 AM.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman47 View Post
    I prefer a rigid line that is angled such that when I hook out, the lines move towards the sail and out of the way. Floppy harness lines are very annoying for me. ......
    Floppy lines are indeed very annoying. But what you are describing is a controlled swing, where the line drops away from you when you unhook. And that's what I call swinging lines. They should drop to vertical on the lee side of the boom.

The worst type of lines are the ones that stick out without moving at all. And they are the ones that hook you back in when you choke the rig.

Anyway. There are no rules about this. Just experiment for yourselves. You will find however, that most pros use pretty long lines that naturally drop away when the sailor unhooks.
    Now back in the UK.

Bend you knees MORE, even though the vid shows decent jibing.
    Higher booms also helps, and you should NOT be able to hook in while slogging..not planing.
    Higher booms, more knee bend, and push the rig away from you, keeps the harness lines, fixed or swinging, well away from your harness hook.