Real world cheap speed setup

So i just got a 2009 Gaastra GTX Race 6.0 for next to nothing, and thought I would use it to revisit my old dream of "speed-sailing".

A couple of years ago I sold all my slalom gear as it was becoming a way to expensive sport. So I bought freestyle and wave gear instead. Most of the time i like being more manouvre-orientated, but do sometimes miss the thrill of putting down the hammer and just go as fast as possible.

So, with my newly aquired sail I thought I'd might have my self a dirt-cheap speed setup, which I could use the 5-10 times a year that the conditions suits it.
    Conditions are pretty flat, but with (sometimes) gusty winds with an average windspeed from 20-35 knots.

So basically I got the sail mast and boom. But, if I were to aquire myself a dirt-cheap board and fin, what should i look for?
    I am thinking 100 max. for both...

I am thinking 85-100L, but the old slalom-boards from 2000 were known for sometimes going rodeo on you at full speed, and it seems that the emphasis on control rather than "always-on-the-edge-speed" has prevailled. So I am thinking that a 2000'ish freerace, might be better for real-world sailors and conditions.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Boetker; 13th July 2015 at 11:19 AM.

That's actually quite an easy one, you should increase your budget to 250 and then look for a fanatic falcon 80l from 2004 to 2007, there are some variants out there but there are more high 30's to high 40's knot sessions posted on those than any other board by a huge country mile.

They are super durable cut can look tatty but that is easily remedied. The preferred model has a subtle v I believe that works at daft speed, generally you will find the seller will be able to show you posted GPS sessions for it. Also on GPS Speedsurfing.com you can look at the sessions posted on that board specifically.

For a fin you want something durable and proven and IMO that means a Tectonics Talon or Falcon, size is personal but 30cm down to 26cm depending on location and conditions. Ideally you can buy one with the board that is proven and will work for you until you hit the ceiling for that setup but the tectonics can be bought for 40-50 in good condition.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Well that was easy, thanks I'll see if anything shows up...

My local shop has a brand new "still-in-the-box" Starboard sonic 2002 w52 with fin for 150.

Would this be absolutely terrible?

It's still in the box for a reason, great board if you like crashing ..... Hard!

Downwind Daves Exocet 80l is not a bad option either but doesn't have the following the Falcon has.

Yeah, i'm not really inot crashing hard, so I think i'll leave it in the box

Unfortunately i am not in the UK.

The Sonics were fast in their time and felt it, the newer stuff just feels easier and as s result you go faster.

Not in the UK shouldn't be a problem for you as those Falcons were available worldwide as were the Exocets