Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nwf does speed

OK...ta...whilst I am in learning mode....what is Alpha?

500m alpha would be 500m with a gybe in the middle. Start and end points must be within 50m of each other otherwise GPS Results software & site ignore it. I've found a beam reach, bear off for a couple of seconds to lessen the amount you have to turn, then beam reach back is usually 40 -50m apart depending on how long you bear off for. A very broad reach and gybe you need to sail back upwind to get with 50m.

OK...so reaching past and then gybing round a buoy seems like the answer so you know exactly where you start and finish.

I don't think you need to gybe around a bouy as its the start and finish which are the important things.
    Looking at some of my gybes in GPS Results, for last Wednesday (easterly wind) my best alpha was 18.8. In GPS Results, setting the Alpha radius to 100m it gave my best gybe as 20.1 as I had broad reached more into the gybe and headed downwind after gybing for speed. The start/end points look to be around 45m apart for the 18.8 gybe and 90m apart in the 20.1 gybe, grid size is 100m. In GPS Results the Alpha radius is under extras/filter settings.

As the flattest water at Hamworthy Park is usually next to the beach that's the best place for gybing. So 250m out is about halfway to the line of boats or the yellow post.

Alpha 18.8 knots - I think the number in green on the track is the speed at the start of the 500m

Alpha 20.1 knots

ps. Those gybes were 2 hours apart and I think the wind changed direction slightly.
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 12th September 2015 at 09:06 AM.

Any other forum members doing this speed ladder?
    I know Mike has posted 1 session.
    Alphie, you have a GPS and have access to a decent speed strip by the look of it. I guess JK & his massive van will be touring a few speed spots as well, & Duncan.

I've got zero chance of getting in the top 2/3ds of the 250m ladder by the end of the competition, no super flat water, no speed kit, no talent But not too worried about that. I'll be making a few trips to Portland though. I might even make a trip up to West Kirby where I learnt to sail, many years ago.
    I quite like the evaluated ranking, not actually officially part of the NWF competition but still fun.
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 18th September 2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: forgot Duncan, sorry Duncan

I've registered. Only upload one very slow session so far, still waiting for some decent winds ��

West Kirby, a great place for speedsailing.
    If you want to do a nautical mile, I guess you need to have 3 gybes to fit it in the limited space.