Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 meter speed sails

on the market for a 5 meterish ( 5m to 5.7) speed sail for the winter. lm just wondering if there is a sail that stands out from the rest that is less phisical to sail in strong winds ???. have my sights set on the Neilpryide RS slalom mk6 as l already have a 7.8 and prefer it more than the EVO.

TBH there are a couple of things that I think are really important as you get down to these smaller speed sails and their accompanying boards and fins, its a theme that you will see with all the successful speed guys and it is - if possible do not mix brands or models.

The reality is that as you get to smaller sizes you need to have kit that rigs and sets up as easily as possible and because you aren't going to use it that often (30knt+ winds) you can practice by having the larger sizes of the same kit to use in 15-25knt winds. Believe me quick rigging and tuning will make or ruin your speed session, all the prep needs to be done in the garden beforehand to make sure that you don't waste energy and time.

As well as ease of set up there is ease of sailing, knowing how a sail, board, fin, boom or adjustable outhaul functions makes life much easier when you get onto smaller kit as the rate of acceleration is so much higher, you don't want to be messing about getting in straps or hooking in as you head through 30knts, it won't end well as the kit does respond to quite subtle input the faster you go.

The long and short of that is that NP RS Evo 6 5.4 is the one sail that I see a lot of sailors having success with, here is a link to its performance stats from GPS Speedsurfing - http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/?mnu=sailstats&id=7847
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

thanks for the tips mate.

Quote Originally Posted by jknhismassivevan View Post
    The long and short of that is that NP RS Evo 6 5.4 is the one sail that I see a lot of sailors having success with, here is a link to its performance stats from GPS Speedsurfing - http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/?mnu=sailstats&id=7847

Unfortunately you cant see that link unless you are signed in with a premium members userid. Whats your userid & password
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 27th August 2015 at 06:46 PM.

Sorry Lol PIP I didn't realise it was Gold Members only, will post a screen shot but it is a great function that crunches all the date of slalom and speed kit, it's a great way of working out the Vmax on any piece of kit as your target, for the NP 5.4 it's 52knots so plenty of head room I think for sound waves.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

so plenty of head room I think for sound waves.
    you said that like lm absolutely shocking after all there is only a few people WHO have gone that fast

l use NP hellcats for high wind blasting and speed runs but been thinking that a full on race sail would make life easyer in those strong windy days.

Sorry Lol PIP I didn't realise it was Gold Members only, will post a screen shot but it is a great function that crunches all the date of slalom and speed kit, it's a great way of working out the Vmax on any piece of kit as your target, for the NP 5.4 it's 52knots so plenty of head room I think for sound waves.
    Yeah, I keep thinking of paying the extra as its useful for looking up stuff like that.