Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

From Uphauling to Carve Gybing - my progress log

I am going to be using this as a progress log type of thing. The first thing in the title I can do but the other will be a lot longer term goal – will I get there??

I hope that this doesn’t come across as self-aggrandising as that is not my intent and I would welcome input from anyone either beginning like me or the seasoned pros

I have had two previous sessions on some hire kit an hour at Poole Harbour and a couple of hours on a reservoir. I was happy on these sessions just getting back into sailing so I’ll start with Session No. 3 on 6.9.15 where I received a bit of training:

Inland Flat water location and Wind was a bit light and gusty but enough to get me moving. I started by just sailing back and forth for a bit and received a couple of pointers as to how I could point higher upwind (open the hips was the key).

I was then shown how to perform the fast tack and managed to do a couple in two steps (with some feet shuffling) by the end of the session. I haven’t nailed these by any margin but I have a good foundation to build on now.

I was then shown how to flare gybe. Previously my tacks and gybes consisted of a hundred little fairy steps around the mast whilst moving the sail across the back or front of the board. I had a massive smile when I was able to keep the board moving throughout the manoeuvre. Rig forward - bore away - feet back – Rig across – held it for a bit then flipped the rig and carried on sailing on the other tack. Wow. I am nowhere near nailing these but like the fast tacks have a good understanding of where and when to place my feet/rig. I can also imagine the feeling you must get pulling off a fully planning carve gybe. At the end of the session I was staying upwind well and was told that my next steps should be getting into the harness

I also purchased some kit this morning which I will be picking up next weekend so all in all a really productive weekend.

I have a hardly any time in September but I may be able to get to the reservoir next Saturday failing that it will be October

Goals – carry on practising the fast tacks and flare gybes, get a Harness

Nice one, keep it going. Let us know if you're down Central South and what some guidance, more than happy to help.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Welcome back to the sport and a progress log is a damn good idea.

One tip I have is when you get your new kit, rig it in the back garden first, make notes so that when you hit your sailing destination you can get on the water ASAP!
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Thanks for your advice help. I am picking up my kit tomorrow and the shop has said that they will rig up inside and show me how it alls done. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow and Windguru is saying 13-16 knots for the afternoon gusting up to 22. This is on an inland reservoir. I have a 5.5m sail and wondering if conditions may be too lively.

Those conditions, especially inland, will be no problem at all for a 5.5 sail. You will be underpowered in the 13-16 knots.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    Those conditions, especially inland, will be no problem at all for a 5.5 sail. You will be underpowered in the 13-16 knots.
    Thanks lostboy for your quick response that was the answer I was hoping for - I have only experienced very light winds so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    You will be underpowered in the 13-16 knots.
    Not for the sub-planning stuff he'll be doing.

@JR71: don't do what I did - keep watching the rig in turns. I can't get rid of the bad habit to stare at the rig even now when I carve gybe.