Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Once the tide is up against the wall at Shore Road/Banks Road any chop bounces back to create mega chop. About 1.8m tide?
    So to avoid sail further away.
    The same at Hamworthy Park in a southerly wind when the tide is >2m, which isnt that often.

The Banks Road/Shore Road area in a SW or WSW wind gets egg box chop as the chop is created by wind blowing through the gap between Brownsea Island and Sandbanks, plus any chop getting blown around Brownsea on its northern side plus wake from boats. So you can get chop from 2 different directions at the same time. When the wind is W/NW you only get chop in 1 direction.
    When the tide is <1.5m its a lot flatter and when <1m it can be nice and flat but shallow in places.

In addition to that, the area marked 3 is more choppy when the tide is going out and the tide from both shipping channels hits the shallows. The sandbar (2) running between the 2 shipping channels gets nice and choppy when the tide is running and boats are creating a load of wash. The channel at Hamworthy Park (1) as well whenever its wind against tide. HP is very good for blasting over the far side of the channel, to the west of Brownsea, once you are past the beginner/intermediate stage.

The chop isnt so bad at Baiter Park. In strong SW winds it forms itself into nice lines. In the summer there are loads of moored boats though. The parking is cheaper there than Shore Road. If I sail at the Shore Road area in a SW, I sometimes sail up to Baiter.

The orange blobs mark eel grass seaweed beds and at low/mid tide you cant sail over them without getting it snagged on the fin. They usually appear approx late July and die off in October.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poole Harbour Chop.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	15508
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 30th August 2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: updated choppy areas

Thanks all and thanks Phil for the very detailed info.

Poole started off great I launched around 8.45 am and it was nice shallow and flat. It was only at the end of my session circa high tide that it became difficult (not impossible by any means just harder than earlier (my knackered body would have played a large part too so I called it a day))

I was there on the Thurs 24th August circa north end of area 3. It was a 1.8m tide circa 11.40am

Guess a bit of local knowledge goes a long way

I forgot to mention that the water is deeper at Baiter Park, its not the same depth throughout the area either. Also if the wind is westerly you would have to sail into the shipping channels. So not as good for beginners, but once you get the hang of sailing consistently worth a look in a SW.

What area of the harbour do you recommend for a beginner/improver and where is best to park/rig?

Cheers in advance.

I'd still recommend that area of the harbour, Evening Hill/Shore Road/Banks Road. Once you are ok with dealing with the wind picking up/dropping off and having to return to your launch point overpowered/underpowered, and sailing in areas with a bit of a tidal current try the other places.

for sure don't stop in front of the Tesco where all the kiters are. The water there is way too shallow. Carry on that road for a bit.
    I normally go on Banks Road there are a couple of launching spots/ramps with a little grass where you can rig up.
    Be careful the ramps can sometimes be slippery. I sometimes throw in the sail and then the board.

The downside is the ridicolouse parking charges.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySG View Post
    The downside is the ridicolouse parking charges.
    Amen to that.