Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Yeah, you may find it quite challenging after only light winds. Very flat water will make it easier. Definitely go out, but make it the goal to just be able to uphaul and sail around a bit.

Which reservoir are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post
    Yeah, you may find it quite challenging after only light winds. Very flat water will make it easier. Definitely go out, but make it the goal to just be able to uphaul and sail around a bit.

Which reservoir are we talking about?
    I'll be at Alton Water - the wind direction is also a worry as it will be off/cross off from the launch point. I sailed in this wind direction here two weeks ago and got back OK.
    I wont come to any harm per se but may have a walk back.

It appears that the windstrength is decreasing a bit now looking at the forecasts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post
    Not for the sub-planning stuff he'll be doing.

@JR71: don't do what I did - keep watching the rig in turns. I can't get rid of the bad habit to stare at the rig even now when I carve gybe.
    To be honest I'm not at that stage where where I can self identify bad habits just yet but thanks for the heads up and I will bear that in mind

Ok, I know Alton Water having taught my partner to windsurf there. It'll be gusty but fairly flat in that direction so should be ok-ish.

Point Clear would be much better as the water is still flat but the wind will be much better and less gusty, but no safety cover etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JR71 View Post
    To be honest I'm not at that stage where where I can self identify bad habits just yet but thanks for the heads up and I will bear that in mind
    Heads up is the phrase to keep in mind .

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post
    Ok, I know Alton Water having taught my partner to windsurf there. It'll be gusty but fairly flat in that direction so should be ok-ish.

Point Clear would be much better as the water is still flat but the wind will be much better and less gusty, but no safety cover etc.
    Thanks Tim what the best time to venture out tide wise and is parking at new way with rigging on green or elsewhere?

My Mrs and kids are coming with me tomorrow and she has invited one of her mates along so I may be forced to go to Alton Water but I won't know until tomorrow.

I know there will be a lot at my local spot in Southend as there is a clinic going on but if the wind is F4/F5 then the mushy chop is horrific (well for me anyway)

EDIT must remember to add the conditions:
    Wind speed Not sure of exact but F4 gusting 5 somewhere around 16-20 knots
    Water temp: Fine
    Weather Sunny

Well saturday 12th June bought me back down to earth not with a bump but a splash.

I was out on my new board and it took me an age to get the outhaul right. Why have RRD got those rope notches in their booms a rubiks cube is easier to solve than following their outhaul rope routes.

Anyway truth be told I think the wind was a little too strong for me and horribly gusty. Despite my best efforts to try to read the gusts according to the ripples on the water upwind of me, the rig was often wrenched from my hands or I like I would be pulled over. I felt initially that all the board wanted to do was point straight into the wind but after a few runs you sort of intuitively learn where to place your feet how to sail the board. By the end of the session I was sailing OK and had a couple of times where I managed to counteract the gust and get the board surging forward but it felt like one step forward two steps back. Those controlled tacks and gybes of the last session were replaced with almost survival sailing.

I also now have a Harness a Dakine T7 although I didn't have the nerve to hook in I thought I would wear it so I could get used to it being on. I must say I hardly noticed it was there it was really confortable and the hook did not interfere with me clambering about the board as much as I thought it would.

Conclusion learning to windsurf and 14 knots gusting 22 probably don't mix well.
    Last edited by JR71; 17th September 2015 at 01:50 PM.