Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Well I'm very pleased to report on my excellent progress to date: yep it's Zip, Nil, Nada, Nothing & just for good measure zero. I don't know exactly what happened life got in the way it got cold and I wimped out but I just didn't get out also got a good offer on my kit and took it but I do have unfinished business with this and I've booked a two day course on 10th 11th Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by JR71 View Post
    Well I'm very pleased to report on my excellent progress to date: yep it's Zip, Nil, Nada, Nothing & just for good measure zero. I don't know exactly what happened life got in the way it got cold and I wimped out but I just didn't get out also got a good offer on my kit and took it but I do have unfinished business with this and I've booked a two day course on 10th 11th Sept.
    "Never Say Never" - has to be every windsurfer's motto ... that's why the sport is so 'character building'.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Bit of a result for me I booked up a lesson on a lake. Despite me being beyond beginner stage I went for a beginner course as i have been away for about a year. I was the only person on the course so it ended up being tailored for my ability. Morning was spent just going over the basics and sailing along got a few good runs in and instructor said it's time for the harness. In the past i have struggled to get to grips with the harness but saturday it just clicked. Whilst i still got pulled over the front loads of times I ended up doing long runs hooked in and managed to anticipate the gusts and have an idea now of how to balance it all and resist being pulled to windward. In addition fast tacks, flare gybes and beach starts were practised and some manouvres looked just about passable.

No wind on Sunday so back next week which was probably a blessing in disguise as my body felt like it has been run over by a steam roller.

We also discussed kit and my instructor thinks that I am beyond beginner level and a high volume free ride board would be within my capabilities. Something around 150 with a centre fin should i wish to practise on for light wind days would be better for me than a beginner board so I may be on the lookout for some kit soon

Remaining lesson at Alton Water. Conditionswere not ideal up to Force 6 possibly gusting 7 extremely gusty and chop on aninland lake. Wind dead onshore from the launch site.

Started off on a Viper 80 uphauled and got outfine but I hated it. The nose of the board would go under water and the thingwould not steer down-wind. At one point I had the sail at a (what felt like) 45degree angle to the front of the board fully sheeted in and still the thingstill maintained its 90 degree angle to the wind. It was like sailing a Tankerwith a large handkerchief. Swapped to an RRD easy ride Medium lost 0.5 sqm offthe sail and everything changed I could steer up and downwind at will and couldget going easily. Had a chat with the instructor and she prefers the feel ofthe short board to something like the Viper although she also says that othersswear by them. Once settled back in and towards the end of the session had somelong runs in the harness. I have never felt comfortable in the harness beforebut something has definitely clicked and I am getting the idea of how tobalance it all as well as the affect tweaking the harness line position has onthings) I could deal with the gusts without getting pulled over the front everyten seconds (the wind dropped away a lot towards the end of session). Footstrapsseem a long way away though. Also managed some Fast tacks, flare gybes and beachstarts.
    On regular occasions my Instructor was sayingthat I was able to point higher into the wind than she was. I seem to be ableto stay upwind well but do find it harder to go down wind.

Conclusions:
    4 gusting 5 is probably the ideal wind speed. 6gusting 7 too challenging at this stage.
    When investing in kit short and wide suitsrather than long and narrow.
    Tacks in stronger wind need to be performedquickly
    Sort footwork on tacks / flare gybes. I understandthe theory and can visualise what I need to do but my body has slightly morespecial needs and needs to catch up.
    Just need time on the water to practise what Ihave learnt before undertaking any more lessons.

Great thread. Looking forward to reading about your first full planing in footstraps session whenever it happens.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

No windsurfing this weekend but I did sort myself a shed load of kit. A 2014 Board in Mint condition, 3 sails (5, 5.9 &6.4), 100% RDM Mast boom, harness and lines.

Excellent. Sounds like you're hooked now. What board did you get? and the sails? all set on the same RDM mast? and what did the wife say? (does she know how expensive this could get, that all the holidays will be to windy beaches from now on etc ...)
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 26th September 2016 at 04:50 PM.
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.