Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Nice choice of sail sizes I'm also a beginner/intermediate and that's exactly what I'd have in an ideal world.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredAtWork925 View Post
    Nice choice of sail sizes I'm also a beginner/intermediate and that's exactly what I'd have in an ideal world.
    I just joined the windsurfing stuff for sale or wanted group on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/130039663788470/ put up a wanted ad and managed to source all my kit from there. I got the whole lot for around £800 so well worth posting up if you are trying to source something

Quote Originally Posted by JR71 View Post
    I just joined the windsurfing stuff for sale or wanted group on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/130039663788470/ put up a wanted ad and managed to source all my kit from there. I got the whole lot for around £800 so well worth posting up if you are trying to source something
    Thanks, I didn't know about that. I've just joined

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Excellent. Sounds like you're hooked now. What board did you get? and the sails? all set on the same RDM mast? and what did the wife say? (does she know how expensive this could get, that all the holidays will be to windy beaches from now on etc ...)
    LOL my wife knows me well enough but she likes to SUP so it could work well. I got a Tabou guru 155l with bag. All 3 sails are NP with a 100% 430 NP RDM Mast. Extension, harness, harness lines. I think the 6.4 sets better on a 460 but will work on the 430 albeit will feel a bit soft. A 460 will most likely be my next purchase and I would imagine at first the 5 and 5.9 will see the most outings at first. May get a 7-7.5 for next summer

All sounds good JR (yep, you're definitely hooked now). Re the SUP thing ... you should definitely try putting a sail on one - with light wind (5 - 10 knots) and small waves it's fantastic fun ... plus very good to practise manoeuvres and freestyle etc ... you might even get her hooked too
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    All sounds good JR (yep, you're definitely hooked now). Re the SUP thing ... you should definitely try putting a sail on one - with light wind (5 - 10 knots) and small waves it's fantastic fun ... plus very good to practise manoeuvres and freestyle etc ... you might even get her hooked too
    that is my plan. The wife wants her own SUP which I will buy her it will just be a Windsup. Good for the kids to have a go on as well and fun in light surf

Finally managed to get out on the water and test out my kit at Alton Water

Forecast was for around 11-16 knots of wind and sunny. The sun came out at least. I rigged a 5.0 but had a 5.9 in the car with me. With hindsight I could have gone bigger. A couple of times there were a few gusts to get me sloshing along hooking in the harness a couple of times but mostly it was just very light (I was using a seat harness on my lessons but now have a waist and it felt very different). All fast tacks were dry but lots of refinement still needed

I was a little concerned going from an 85cm wide board to 76cm wide but the board is absolutely perfect for my level. It’s a lot more responsive than the RRD easy ride medium I was learning on and yes it was tippy(er) than the RRD, enough that it caught me out when my attention was elsewhere chatting to the Mrs as I was coming in to land. It is stable enough that it won’t impede my progress.

The board comes with two fins one is the normal fin you get with a typical learner board and the other was a 50 cm free ride. I went out with the large fin in the centre slot (dagger-board style) as the wind was offshore from the launch spot and I was worried about getting back (more to avoid the humiliation of getting the safety boat out) than any real danger. I may have one more go on the lake this weekend placing the fin back in its right place then I really want to get out to the coast and constant wind so I can really nail the harness, planing and then the foot-straps.