Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JR71 View Post
    Finally managed to get out on the water and test out my kit at Alton Water

Forecast was for around 11-16 knots of wind and sunny. The sun came out at least. I rigged a 5.0 but had a 5.9 in the car with me. With hindsight I could have gone bigger. A couple of times there were a few gusts to get me sloshing along hooking in the harness a couple of times but mostly it was just very light (I was using a seat harness on my lessons but now have a waist and it felt very different). All fast tacks were dry but lots of refinement still needed

I was a little concerned going from an 85cm wide board to 76cm wide but the board is absolutely perfect for my level. It’s a lot more responsive than the RRD easy ride medium I was learning on and yes it was tippy(er) than the RRD, enough that it caught me out when my attention was elsewhere chatting to the Mrs as I was coming in to land. It is stable enough that it won’t impede my progress.

The board comes with two fins one is the normal fin you get with a typical learner board and the other was a 50 cm free ride. I went out with the large fin in the centre slot (dagger-board style) as the wind was offshore from the launch spot and I was worried about getting back (more to avoid the humiliation of getting the safety boat out) than any real danger. I may have one more go on the lake this weekend placing the fin back in its right place then I really want to get out to the coast and constant wind so I can really nail the harness, planing and then the foot-straps.
    Sounds good JR. Don't underestimate the value of those moderate wind sessions. When its easy to just plod along you really can think about technique and work on things. Once the wind and waves get up a bit it all gets hectic and you have to be able to react without thinking. That is where the hours put in will benefit you.

Really great thread this JR. Can completely relate as I'm in a similar situation. I look forward to more updates.

Good session at the pond started very light winds and was wondering whether the choice of the 5m was the right thing to do again. In the end it was good as the winds whilst light were fairly consistent and not as gusty.

BTB is spot on these light wind sessions are great and I could really concentrate on where my feet were the position of the rig etc. Got a fast tack in taking only 3 steps instead of the usual shuffling I also got a really good flare gybe in sailing switch stance and clew first for a bit and then a proper rig flip. It was light wind and slow but felt good to actually do something resembling a manoeuvre being driven by me rather than me just being a passive participant on what the board wants to do.

Sailed a lot in the harness and this is becoming a lot easier only got pulled over twice I was also looking to hook in in advance of the gusts rather than

It was around 3pm and the wind kicked in so of course my technique went to Rat Sh@* at this point and it was case of just hanging on except all that light wind work made it feel a lot easier. I remembered when it was really light looking down at the footstraps and thinking how am I ever going to get my feet anywhere near there but as the wind picked up my back foot was just nudging the rear footstrap (question answered) at this point I am sure I planed or at least was on the very cusp of it as suddenly the board went light and I felt it raise up it followed by a bit of slapping sound only happened on a gust so was over before it started. The wind continued to kick in unfortunately I had been on the water about 3.5 hours at this point with only 2 5 mins break to grab some food and drink so despite wanting to carry on I was sensible and called it.

Bought a new wetsuit Billabong furnace comp 5/4 the day before and was toasty warm mainly because no water got in - when the sum came out it was really quite hot, dinghy racing was on at the start of my session but by 1.30 I was the only person on the lake bar two row boats!

EDIT: Information water temp 11.5 degrees
    Last edited by JR71; 24th October 2016 at 10:16 AM.

Good to hear. That lifting sensation is without doubt the board getting up onto the plane.

There are probably 3 states of planning, 1 is where the board speed has to much energy / lift to carry on plodding and displacing water but not quite enough to fully lift and release on the plane, you feel the lift but not a vast amount of acceleration as you are balancing (in terms of speed) right on the critical point. In this state sailing is quite tricky as the board is just as likely to drop back of the plane as to continue to rise up and accelerate. Your speed might change erratically and this affects the power in the rig – accelerating onto the plane but losing power in the rig as the apparent wind shifts to the front and then dropping back off the plane. As you slowdown the rig fills with power again! You can end up caught somewhere between two states.

The second state is comfortable planning where you have enough power (or good technique) to get the board to rise up and reach a consistent planning speed even with the apparent wind now very noticeable and teh rig becoming lighter in your hands. If you hit a consistent planning speed you will notice the board becomes much more stable as the fin is working to hold your line and also provide lift. You need to get to this point before thinking about straps.

State 3 is overpowered when the lift from the board / fin is too much and you are fighting to keep the fin in the water and the sail keeps pulling hard. Avoid this!

In terms of tips, you need enough wind, no point if there isn’t. When there is i’d suggest you try and work on building and maintaining planning board speed and bare off the wind to help (time spent slogging back up as a consequence is worth it). Look at you tube vids on stance and mast foot pressure – they will help.

Thanks BTB it was definitely stage 1 as that is exactly how it felt the board rose up like it was going over a small wave but didn’t quite pop free. I was only on a 5m had I rigged my 5.9 or if there was a smidgen more wind I think that would have been enough to get me going properly.

My foot-straps are all the way back and outboard, do you think it would be worth me moving them in?

You have a Guru 155 I think - that should have lots of strap options and the further forward / inboard are most likely desiged to be easy to get into so yes switch to those straps. However, I would continue sailing out of them and just keep concentrating on perfecting a good stance and being able to transfer your weight through the harness lines. Work on your stance and going comfortably fast as the 1st priority and moving your feet about with tiny little steps to work on the implications of moving your weight about as the 2nd priority (dont just try to move back and into the straps asap). You should find that eventually your feet are right next to where the straps are (or where some strap holes are). Dont be tempted to dive into the straps when they get close, just carry on with little movements - 2cm at a time will do it untill you are touching the straps with both feet. If you get there without forcing it you should find that the movement into the straps is pretty simple.

OK thanks for that advice. I will leave the straps where they are for now as my feet are already over the nearest two strap holes. There are 3 positions in all I may just end up tripping over them if I move them to the nearest/inboard position.