Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I wimped out this winter. My last session was at the end of October (despite purchasing a good 5/4). I am anxious to pick up where I left off.

When does it start getting warmer?

Quote Originally Posted by JR71 View Post
    I wimped out this winter. My last session was at the end of October (despite purchasing a good 5/4). I am anxious to pick up where I left off.

When does it start getting warmer?
    Similar with me - I've not been out since September due to being too busy renovating our house I'm hoping to change that in 2017 though! :-)

Surf-Forecast.com gives you the current sea temperature with a graph, so you can see the minima and maxima for where you are there. As you'll see, the low point for the sea on the south coast is at the beginning of March, 6 weeks after the low point of the air temperature. The lag is due to the giant heat capacity of the sea. Lakes, being smaller, warm up and cool down quicker. 10 Degrees is what I normally look for, both sea and air, so I normally start windsurfing again at the beginning of April and stop in late December, possibly even early Jan if it's a mild winter. I really feel the cold big time, but find a good wetsuit works wonders, it's just the bare extremities like fingers and face that stop me. I've just bought a custom made 6/5, so I'm hoping to be out earlier this year.
    Last edited by BoredAtWork925; 15th February 2017 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks bored at work the temperature for the lake that I use was measured on 21.1.2017 at 3.9 so I will swerve that for now. It was measured at 11.5 when I stopped and I found that absolutely fine (I was a bit hot in my 5/4) My local spot coastal spot Southend on Sea is currently 7.8 and it looks like it breaches the 10 degree barrier towards the end of April.

It's frustrating as I was just getting planing on my last session and I feel I have taken two steps forward but one back now. I am going to have to MTFU this year.

I'd ignore the temperate and focus on the conditions. Just plan to sail less. If you get 1 hour in in perfect conditions and then get in and get warm quick you will be glad you made the effort.

I agree with BTB - my 10 degree limit is my own from experience, so you need to get out there and see what you think. Everyone's different, so you need that experience yourself. If you found 11.5 absolutely fine, then I'm sure you're fine well below 10 degrees. For me, 11.5 degrees is very unpleasant indeed, and 10 is when I stop I suspect you may be able to sail all year, provided you find nice days.

Thanks for the advice

I sailed Rhosneiger on January 15th - it was cold but the wind was from the north meaning it was cross off from the right with a decent swell. I have never seen it like that in 20+ years of sailing there. I was cold at the end of the session but very glad i went out.