Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Board turns upwind..

Hi there, I have been out on the water only about 6 or 7 times at a sailing school on a 220L with daggerboard.
    Last night I had a turn on a JP Freeride 145 / 6.0m in very light wind and did get going eventually after some trial/error/sinking.

I immediately noticed a lot of drift and from reading forums on this site I gather this is due mostly to the lack of a daggerboard.

However one thing I want to get advice on, is when tilting the rig to the bow to turn downwind - the board very definitely turned upwind, one time blowing me off !

It happened twice I think both times when the wind was powering the side of the sail where it wraps around flat over the mast, (apologies if there is a name for that). I doubt if that is significant though.
    Any idea what I am doing wrong, or do I need to go learn the theory regarding pressures etc properly.
    I am about 5'9" and 75kg

Thanks in advance

The board turning into the wind when you start sailing in stronger winds is totally normal. You will need to develop a technique of pulling the sail across your body to windward before you sheet in.

Tilting the sail towards the bow will turn the board downwind not upwind - even if there's no daggerboard. It sounds to me though like you've got the wind on the wrong side of the sail. I suspect you're waiting too long before you start turning downwind and by the time you do, the wind is already on the other side of the sail. Try to be aware of exactly where the wind is and keep it on your back.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

To help you a bit with terminology first, we normally call the front of the board, the Nose, rather than the bow. The side of the board and sail from which the wind is blowing is called the windward side. The other side of the board/sail is the leeward side.

If you sail across the wind.................the wind on your back........the windward side of the sail will adopt some shape with the battens moving away from the mast. The sail shape on the windward side will be concave. If you get too close to the wind ( i.e. with the nose of the board pointing in the direction the wind is coming from), the sail will flatten, and if you pass through the eye of the wind, the wind will start to hit the leeward side of the sail. Pushing the rig forward will in fact amplify this effect.
    So the reason it happened is that you were too close to the wind ( heading into wind) when you raked the rig forward. If you wanted to turn downwind whilst you were pointing that high into wind you would need to push the mast over to leeward first by extending your front arm.

Not many replies to this, sorry about that, you've joined the forum at a bad time!
    It's all about mast foot pressure, really try to push the mast through the board and that combined with your front foot facing forward (not across the board) should see the board going downwind.

But it's perfectly normal at your stage so don't worry and enjoy the occassional upwind dunkings as the wind slams you down!

It's got absolutely nothing to do with mast foot pressure (which doesn't exist) and everything to do with Centre of Effort and Centre of Lateral resistance and placing one above the other or the CofE ahead of the CLR to bear away or behind the CLR to head up into wind. The problem with boards with no daggerboards is that the CLR is undefined and very, very mobile until they are planing.

Capie is right about bringing the mast ACROSS you (and ahead of you) before you sheet in, this helps stops the board luffing up into the wind, SteveE is right about the foot position, get the front foot level with the base and pointing forward and then as you sheet in you will be able to drive the board in the direction that you want.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    It's got absolutely nothing to do with mast foot pressure (which doesn't exist)
    Well it did when I was learning. That was the single best piece of advice I ever got.

I remember when I first started windsurfing, standing so far forward on the 180 litre board that the water was up to my knees and I still couldn't get the nose off the wind.

An important factor is centre of resistance (to sideways movement), which depends on the fin, but also on the amount of the board in the water.

Boards designed to plane, when they do get planing, will have an planing area that gets smaller and more towards the tail as it planes faster.
    The sail, straps etc are designed to allow it to be balanced when planing, so they tend to be set up to produce a centre of effort/pull more towards the tail.

The board will tend to turn upwind when the centre of pull is more toward the tail than the centre of resistance is. Get the centre of pull more toward the nose than the centre of resistance and the board will turn downwind.

Unfortunately, moving your weight forward tends to move the centre of resistance forward, so sometimes you have to move the centre of pull forward while you stay back. This still works in turning the board downwind, but you will have a twisting force going into the board through your feet - which does the same thing and turns the board down wind. Moving your hands along the boom further from the mast is a way to do that.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 9th September 2015 at 10:27 PM.