Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mistral Panam

Mistral Panam

Hello,
    As I think this is my first post here, maybe a brief intro is appropiate:
    I'm from Belgium, I sailed mostly longboards (Competition, Kailua, ...) until kids and marriage took up too much time (+/- 1995).
    Now kids have grown older and I start to feel a clock ticking in the distance... I've still a house renovation to finish, but, well, all work and no play... You know?

I bought some boards (Mistrals Superlight, Competition SST, One Design) mainly to use on a low wind Belgian inland lake, but like to get more serious TOW on the North Sea or The Netherlands (Zeeland).

Now my question:
    -> Does anyone have some good res photo's of the 2000-2003 Mistral Panam? (I did search the net without much result) A brochure scan would be nice also.

I might be on to something, but having never actually seen one, I want to make sure I won't get pulled a leg.
    Any help would be appreciated very much!

Mark

I race a 2000 model year Pan Am, not sure if I can find pictures of it other than me sailing it on the water, what would you like to know?

It was the last longboard Mistral produced and was just a sandwich construction up grade to the earlier Mistral Equipe 2, the addition of the sandwich increased the volume slightly which gave the board an improved turn of speed over the earlier model with no vices other than increased fragility.

They are much sought after and there were not that many made and sold so would fetch reasonable money if in good condition.

Thanks Graeme. I also posted on the Dutch forum, where I got a link to some photos.
    Yesterday I drove to the north of France and bought the Pan Am. The board is not in the best condition, having been patches up several times. Some repairs better than others. There is 1 soft spot under a badly carried our repair, so this has to be taken care of.
    The deck has been re-gripped with a white opaque anti-skid substance right over the nice deck stickers.
    Plan is to sand everything, repair correctly and re-finish.
    Would you know how much a good Pan Am should weigh?
    It feels lighter than my One Design, then again, it should, no?
    And what's that insert for, located a few cm's in front of the mast track?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panam1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	12841

Hello,
    Some follow-up:
    I managed to get a better look at the board, and it's in worse state than I originally thought. I put it out in the sun and it oozes water from several cracks. Also there is a long (30cm) shallow dent where either the sandwich PVC collapsed or the EPS. This is located in the standing area.
    Looks like I won't be sailing this board anymore this year. A full strip and correct repairs are needed, after some time on a vacuum pump to suck out as much water as possible.
    Weight (no straps, dagger or fin) is 14.5 kg. Advertised was 13kg for these boards. These specs are mostly exaggerated, but I don't know by how much.

Graeme (or anyone else) do you happen to know how much a good Pan Am weighs?

Thanks,
    Mark

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    If no one else has the real weight maybe this can help.
    I have a Fanatic Mega Cat with centerboard and straps but without fin it's 15,1 Kg
    380cmX7cm 250L

Also a Lightning F2 377cmX64cm 249L 15,5kg (mint condition) with straps (light race straps) and daggerboard. no fin.

Ok, this already gives me some ballpark figures. Will put my dagger on the scale, to see where I get. Straps with the board are lightweight, but the SS screws and strap plates are not...
    It's not that I'm fixated about the weight (I could lose a few kg's myself, for that matter), but just would like to have an indication about how much water really is in the board.

They're supposed to weigh sub 16kgs, (15.5) but if you get one less than 18 you'll be lucky.

The Cobra sandwich construction was pretty lame and I've spent most of my time patching it up, there is a good guy at Wet n Dry Canvey island Jamie Dodds, who did an excellent repair/ refurb/ dry out/ over one winter a couple of years back.

The problem is the temperature differential and the volume, just sucks in water through the myriad holes in the outer laminate. Cobra never could equal the out ABS layer that the old Equipen2's built in Germany had.

So, you use it, get it out, rack and dry it every time and even then it does put on weight.

However it still remains the nicest all around raceboard ever built and can still take on and beat anything out there.