Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Some good tips on technique for me to try, some of which I already try but need to refine. To explain the back riding up is like railing when well powered with too big a fin so maybe as someone suggested a smaller fin might help. Compared to the photo my fin is even more upright. Also, I think I back-foot too much so putting rig to leeward and back a bit with my weight foward should help now Mikeb reassured that will not encourage straight lining.,

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    Some good tips on technique for me to try, some of which I already try but need to refine. To explain the back riding up is like railing when well powered with too big a fin so maybe as someone suggested a smaller fin might help. Compared to the photo my fin is even more upright. Also, I think I back-foot too much so putting rig to leeward and back a bit with my weight foward should help now Mikeb reassured that will not encourage straight lining.,
    If the fin were too big, you would have more problems in a straight line. I use a 36 fin on both my 60cm and 70cm wide slalom boards with a 7.0. On my Fanatic Gecko (70cm), I used a 36cm right down to 5.0.

If I were you, I would focus on just two things next time you go out - (1) keeping the sail sheeted in by pulling the foot of the sail up against your shin; and (2) not bending your front arm.

What I can tell you is that things do come right eventually. Have a look at this video I posted in March 2014 looking for gybe help. You can definitely see in these videos that I was leaning back in the turns and the sail was not sheeted in (leeward of the board's centreline). That was on a 70cm wide freeride board with a 7.3 sail and a 39cm fin.

One video limit here so you'll have to click through on this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZIaVAMjsQ

This is a video from a few months back. A friend took it on a cellphone so apologies for the quality. That's on a 70cm wide slalom board with a 7.7 race sail (North Warp) and a 40cm fin. What you should be able to make out is how much more sheeted in I am and how I'm bending forward more (still not enough mind you). It's not the best gybe ever but I post it to give you hope than in a relatively short time you can make progress.

Last edited by Capie; 23rd October 2015 at 08:43 AM.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Not a lot wrong with that Capie! A lot of what I was saying is in there. If you freeze at 0.4 you can see that the leeward rail is committed at least up the mast foot if not a bit more giving the board lots of bite. This is also on a broad reach and the sail is still very nearly sheeted in along the centre line of the board.

Yep not a lot wrong with that Capie, good progression that man!
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"