Freestyle Apprentice

Hello guys and gals ..

I'd like to know what size gear should I buy to start learning Freestyle which is the main reason I got into the sport.

Here is my info

Mostly flat water with a little bit of waves beyond the reef and average winds between 10 and 20 knots , and during the winter can get up to 30 knots sometimes .

Me :

32 years old, 77kg , 6 feet tall , intermediate windsurfer .

The people I sail with around here they are only into racing using slalom and formula boards with huge sails so they cant really help me much with this .

I thank you all in advance . Good day and good wind .

Get a 100litre freestyle board. It doesn't have to be new, 5 years old will be fine. You will need a short fin, start at maybe 20-22cm and work from there. It is fine to cut an old fin down to size.

Sails - no bigger than 6m really. If you already have freeride/wave sails that'll be fine for now. Just don't try doing it with race sails.

This will need 15kts of wind. If it is less than this and you can't plane you should be doing hundreds of helitacks and upwind 360s, sailing in the straps switch stance etc.

Thank you my friend, this is the kind of info I was looking for

i wish i had a flat lake or sea near my city .... i got 99 l ... 86 kg and 190 cm tall. got fanatic 2012 skate (perfect stuff ) and 4.5, 5.2 , 5.5 sails .. 4.5 is neilpryde , other 2 are aerotech

A bit bigger board will only help you learn faster. Like 105-110l freestyle board
    And Go with pure freestyle sails they are easier to keep neutral in the air

Good luck