Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skin cancer

Terrifying stuff.. having spent a vast amount of time baking in the African Sun as a yoof, I always wonder if that was a help or a hindrance when it comes to the question of skin cancer. I hoped it would somehow be conditioning/adaptation to environment, and a good tan is the best defence.. but everything I've read says the opposite (aside from the tan = defence arguably). And it's so hard to keep track of what blotches I have and whether they're growing or shrinking, but then I suppose it's more lumps to be concerned about that blotches.

Anyway, really pleased you got it sorted early Jamie, and may that be the end of it, forever.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

The thing is guys and girls is to get anything you are remotely concerned about checked out.
    If something is changing is size , colour or shape. If it itches or you have just got a "feeling" its not right then go to your GP. They will be more than happy to look at it.
    Don't always think that it will be on your arms or face etc, they can be anywhere, it doesnt have to be where the skin gets exposed.

If you know someone that loves a bit too much sun, don't be afraid to tell them to cover up, tactfully of course. A crossed word wont do any harm but this stuff does.

A few years back I had dark lumps on both shoulders. I left them for ages as being in my 20s still had that belief I was indestructible. About a year after the first appeared it started getting uncomfortable and I went to the quack. Within 2 days I was in hospital having them both removed. I sat and watched as they cut away the lumps pulling the discoloured flesh away in chunks. One turned out to be a blue naevus and the other an unidentifiable anomaly so neither was a problem. With hindsight I should have got them looked at a lot sooner. I currently have an itchy lump on my leg that I have been ignoring for about 7 years, better get that checked this week.
    Last edited by phill104; 18th November 2015 at 09:44 PM.

Being cornish and in the sun all day every day I also thought I was "proofed" against anything. I recently had a fast growing, irregular shaped brown patch cut out of my face. Its called a lenticular something and thankfully non malignant, if I ever needed a reminder to slap some stuff on that was it!

Today I heard a fellow windsurfer who shall remain unnamed has been given just a couple of months max. He had a couple of iffy moles he ignored, and was one of those people who always sails topless on holiday. He is in his mid 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    Today I heard a fellow windsurfer who shall remain unnamed has been given just a couple of months max. He had a couple of iffy moles he ignored, and was one of those people who always sails topless on holiday. He is in his mid 40s.
    damn, that's depressing.

my thoughts are with him and his family.

****, that's terrible.