Kite Windsurf Cup Langebaan

I'm still recovering from this week-long event in Langebaan pitting kites against windsurfers, amateurs against pros. The racing takes place at various locations around the Langebaan Lagoon. Most of the races are long slalom courses (9-12km races) but there are also some long distance course races and the famous Langebaan Downwind Dash, the oldest running windsurf race in the world.

This year, because there are a bunch of kiting events around the same time, including the Red Bull King of the Air, we only had two kites (both foils) in the main competition. A lot of foreign sailors joined in with the German and European IFCA slalom champion, Vincent Langer leading the pack. Miriam Rasmussen was there representing the pro ladies and the Fanatic slalom development team took part. Other riders from Mauritius, Switzerland, Sweden, the UK and Israel in the mix too.

Conditions were fantastic. We had wind on every day of the competition. Winds up to 45 knots on the course on Day 1 and 20-30 knots for most of the other days. I stayed in a house on the beach that became party central in the evening and it really was a fantastic event from all angles.

The event was won by Jerome Bonieux from Mauritius on a kite foil. He just beat Vincent Langer (Point 7, Fanatic) to the finish. First South African home was Fanatic brand manager Craig Gertenbach who was last SA champion about 20 years ago! I finished 14th in the end which I was happy with considering I was in the last week of recovery from a broken ankle. Here's a video of the rest day we had. I'm up at 1:00 on the Patrik 115 and 7.7 Warp f2016. The next video shows one of the calmer days of racing. Book your tickets for next year. It really is a great experience.

https://vimeo.com/152212685

https://vimeo.com/151716045

https://www.facebook.com/KiteWindsurfCup/
    Last edited by Capie; 20th January 2016 at 07:12 AM.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

They've just added a video from Day 5.

https://vimeo.com/152340562
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l

Fantastic stuff Capie, looks amazing.

Lucky enough to sail there once during a trip to SA. Very nice drone shots.On Day3 looked like Team Black was set to beat the foiler, till going wide at the final mark (2:30). Mind you who'd want to cross paths with a knife edge foil at those speeds? Does show their not unbeatable though, kinda surprising seeing how small the wake is.

Another dream sounding trip would be the round Barbados race:

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/20...ound-barbados/

Respect to Trevor Hunte/SB377 for same et as leading 60 footer, but I think in 20knots plus 3 foot swell a slalom might have been my weapon of choice.
    Last edited by na-omi; 27th January 2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: insert URL

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bear View Post
    Another dream sounding trip would be the round Barbados race (Url denied)
    probably not enough posts yet... if you PM it to me I can put it in

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bear View Post
    Lucky enough to sail there once during a trip to SA. Very nice drone shots.On Day3 looked like Team Black was set to beat the foiler, till going wide at the final mark (2:30).
    That's Vincent Langer, German and European IFCA Champion. It was tight between him and the foil on most days. Jerome Bonieux, on the foil, is an excellent foiler. What the drone footage doesn't show that well is how big the rolling chop was. The foil doesn't need to pick his line around those marks because he's hovering over the chop and the drag on the foil is way less than on a gybing board so it's much easier for him to keep his speed through the turns.

I spent most of the week battling with another kite foil further back and the second half of the gybe was particularly frustrating. They have to switch feet before the gybe, so the best strategy was to be really aggressive in the 20m before the gybe and in the first half of the gybe. If you can push them there, you might get lucky. However, when we are battling to do the rig flip and foot switch and to control the board when the whole rail is engaged, they just power up. With so little drag, they maintain more speed in the gybe and don't have the acceleration issues we have after a gybe. The foil also has excellent upwind ability so as soon as they have any power, they can take a tighter line and effectively roll you on every exit. I think that's what happened to Vincent in that race. I don't think he went wide so much as that was the line the conditions dictated.

We had some rules in place to protect everyone. We separated the foils from the windsurfers at the start and we were encouraged to pass upwind of the foil. I only tried a downwind pass once and it was pretty scary knowing that if they had a problem, I'd have all of that sharp carbon coming my way.

It may not have come across in all of the reports but this is a pro-am event. You really don't need to be an expert to take part. It really is an amazing week - definitely worth the trip.
    Last edited by Capie; 27th January 2016 at 07:07 AM.