Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Interesting development from Pryde

RSX Foiler I quite fancy a go on one of these.

Super Moderator
    Smart move.

Looks good and goes hand in hand with other performance categories in sailing
    hostis humani generis

mmm..not that smart if the ambition is to have WINDSURFING represented at the Olympics and increase public awareness in doing so. Foiling is a side show, meanwhile the technology and board design is already available to facilitate light wind windsurfing if that is what we are condemned to having at every Olympics.....ie Formula Boards. Better still, lobby to have the windsurfing in a venue with wind!

I would rather watch people on windfoils and therefore at least moving at a reasonable pace than a whole bunch of people 'rowing' their sails and not going anywhere fast - I don't think that paints a very good picture of windsurfing every 4 years.

Although the windsurfing at the London Olympics was great as we actually had wind for once, but these can convert between foils and standard windsurfing anyway I believe?

They're trying to head off kites, because that's the direction they'll be coming from, foil kiteboarding has been gaining ground since they lost their earlier Olympic decision, it'll be interesting to see if the same sailors get to hang in there, foiling tends to favour us normal weight people.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    mmm..not that smart if the ambition is to have WINDSURFING represented at the Olympics and increase public awareness in doing so. Foiling is a side show, meanwhile the technology and board design is already available to facilitate light wind windsurfing if that is what we are condemned to having at every Olympics.....ie Formula Boards. Better still, lobby to have the windsurfing in a venue with wind!
    same argument I thought about foiling cats in the AC.... yet that proved thrilling to watch on AC34, admittedly the comeback of the century for the rent-a-pom American greatly adding to the this.

Foiling is gaining a lot of traction in the top echelons of World Sailing in the high performance classes- moths, the A-Class etc... to leave windsurfing on a b*st*rd-old hybrid board that no one actually sails for fun would almost certainly cement its olympic status to the history books.
    hostis humani generis