Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NP proposal is for the 2024 games, by this time it may well be that many recreational sailors are using foiling boards, especially in light winds.

Windsurfing is always going to be held in the same venue as the rest of the sailing, therefore it is unrealistic to expect a separate high wind venue just for the windsurfers. I also think that it is unrealistic to expect Olympic windsurfing to use the same type of kit as recreational sailors, and I certainly see no advantage using formula boards.

Personally I welcome this announcement, I think that it will be an amazing spectacle which will help the windsurfing industry

a broader question - has sailing had its medal numbers confirmed for the 2024 games yet?
    hostis humani generis

Quote Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post
    NP proposal is for the 2024 games, by this time it may well be that many recreational sailors are using foiling boards, especially in light winds.
    I doubt it. I suspect the vast majority of windsurfers (like me) would like a to give it a go, but price will be a huge barrier. Once the novelty wears off it probably won't be any more fun for recreational windsurfing than the conventional light wind windsurfing options we have anyway, and hardly anyone bothers with those either. I'm sure there will be some hardcore racers that will go for it, but how many of those are there? Windsurfing needs wind to be properly fun - you can make light winds more fun by racing, or adding some kind of social scene, but it then has to compete with a LOAD of other things that are cheaper and less hassle.

Maybe I will be proved wrong and foiling on flat water in 8knts will be as fun as wavesailing with a 5m - I bet it won't though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    same argument I thought about foiling cats in the AC.... yet that proved thrilling to watch on AC34, admittedly the comeback of the century for the rent-a-pom American greatly adding to the this.

Foiling is gaining a lot of traction in the top echelons of World Sailing in the high performance classes- moths, the A-Class etc... to leave windsurfing on a b*st*rd-old hybrid board that no one actually sails for fun would almost certainly cement its olympic status to the history books.
    Kitesurfers are going for foiling boards for recreational use too. I think the practitioners see it as another step, something new to try, more fun to be had (i.e. additional fun to be had). Come back in five years and loads of people will be foiling in boats and on boards. Jimmy G will even be boardskiing on a foil (and prabably filling the FB windsurf pages with posts about it).

I'm not trying to p**s on anybody's chips here, just trying to understand.

I understand it for AC's, moths etc because of the hull drag but for windsurfing where you are already on mimimum wetted area:

With all the drag and complexity of these foils, are they any better / faster / quicker to plane than a formula?

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Better still, lobby to have the windsurfing in a venue with wind!

The host of the 2024 Olympic Games is still unknown. Budapest, Paris, Los Angeles and Rome are the candidate cities and, therefore, the official list of sports has not yet been announced

Checking out the possible venues on windfinder's stats.
    Budapest - Lake Balaton? Forget any windsurfing for that.
    http://www.windfinder.com/windstatis...balatonfenyves

Paris - Cherbourg could get very similar conditions to Portland had, if they chose to hold it there.
    http://www.windfinder.com/windstatis...herbourg_bouee

Los Angeles - The windstats along that coast vary enormously, maybe unreliable?
    http://www.windfinder.com/windstatis...r_j_long_beach

Rome.
    http://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/roma-fiumicino

Viva La France.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post

Windsurfing is always going to be held in the same venue as the rest of the sailing, therefore it is unrealistic to expect a separate high wind venue just for the windsurfers. I also think that it is unrealistic to expect Olympic windsurfing to use the same type of kit as recreational sailors, and I certainly see no advantage using formula boards.

Personally I welcome this announcement, I think that it will be an amazing spectacle which will help the windsurfing industry
    I totally agree, looks fantastic.

I've seen kiters using foils and they are able to get going in very light winds.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Win..._10520065.aspx

In the lighter winds, sailors will opt for the foils, getting up and flying in winds around 5 knots, which is far more exciting than watching an RS:X in sub planing mode! Already windsurfers are tacking and gybing completely on foils, so give them 8 years of training and the standard will be at Olympic level for sure.