Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    The host of the 2024 Olympic Games is still unknown. Budapest, Paris, Los Angeles and Rome are the candidate cities and, therefore, the official list of sports has not yet been announced

Checking out the possible venues on windfinder's stats.
    Budapest - Lake Balaton? Forget any windsurfing for that.
    That's an interesting point. If Budapest gets it, that will be the first ever land-locked summer Olympics I believe.

I dunno, seems to me RSX is just considered another sailing class at the Olympics rather than another sport. No one seems to be rushing to replace the Finn. My concern about kites and foils is accessibility for youngsters having to sail on restricted waters

Quote Originally Posted by BVS View Post
    I dunno, seems to me RSX is just considered another sailing class at the Olympics rather than another sport. No one seems to be rushing to replace the Finn. My concern about kites and foils is accessibility for youngsters having to sail on restricted waters
    spot on, both points... It wouldn't be allowed on our pond under our current rules anyway
    hostis humani generis

I learned to windsurf as part of the RYA 'youth' and even then most of us were hugely aware of the massive differential between the type of sailing we were 'training' for and the wider world or freeride and wave sailing, i.e. anything considered 'cool', which the Tiga Aloha '105' fleet as a stepping stone to IMCO clearly was not. Nevertheless I've always had a raceboard in the quiver and this continues to offer sailing on lightwind days and I do sometimes think the Olympic experience is closer to a lot of 'real world' sailing than many would care to admit.
    I've now met an actual windsurfer who has the kit and can foil, and have seen the kiters doing this also. Desperately hope this helps to maintain windsurfing as an olympic sport, as despite the differential and the lack of relevance to many, the venues will not change and will focus primarily on light wind sailing and there needs to be a windsurfing class that can showcase the best possible action achievable in such conditions.

The cogs of the Olympic sport machine move slowly, and the 5-ring circus decision-makers are more interested in image and legacy that they are with the competitors' preferences.
    In this case, the move to add a foil to the RSX could just extend our time (as windsurfers) in the Olympic family, if foiling gives more of a show for light wind sailing.

You have to remember that the Olympic sailing venues are not chosen on the basis of good (windy) windsurfing conditions.
    We now know that windsurf boards fitted with foils can race in lighter winds – and they still work in windier weather, due to the kit being above the chop.
    (The problem that remains, is when to change to a foiling set up.)

Whether this has anything to do with windsurfing is another matter.
    The one reason I windsurf – rather than dinghy sail – is to do with the connectivity with the water. To me, foiling is a development that throws out the fun with the bathwater. It also looks a bit silly in gusty wind.

But then you wouldn't see me on an RSX either, not my thing – so maybe it's a good performance improvement for them, and for the public to watch on the telly at a fixed pre-ordained time, perhaps with an inept commentator making it sound fun.

If we were to develop Olympic windsurfing in a different way, how would that be? We're never going back to long boarding, right?
    In yachting too, the interest is now in foils and in faster, more dramatic fun, for a visual age.
    Last edited by basher; 31st May 2017 at 10:29 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I'm not too arsed about Olympic Windsurfng. I grew up obsessed with windsurfing at the time when the Lechner was the Olympic choice. I didn't recognize it as windsurfing. They looked more like boats than windsurf boards. Things have changed over the years but I have almost no interest.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HqzfEo5sVE...avyachting.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    I'm not too arsed about Olympic Windsurfng. I grew up obsessed with windsurfing at the time when the Lechner was the Olympic choice. I didn't recognize it as windsurfing. They looked more like boats than windsurf boards. Things have changed over the years but I have almost no interest.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HqzfEo5sVE...avyachting.jpg
    Which adds another dimension to the debate. Are there sufficient windsurfers who care whether the sport remains? Are there sufficient windsurfers, period?
    Totally appreciate and understand that for many the issue is moot. If 5.0m wavesailing is your standard outing to the beach, why would Olympic style windsurfing have any bearing on your views or experience of the sport.