Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by richarli View Post
    So it's a way of reducing the number, size and complexity of your kit. Go up to say 7.8 with a normal fin then stick the foil on rather than a bigger sail. Sounds mighty fine to me.
    Yes and No. I am looking at Foiling as a new sport rather than Windsurfing. I mainly wavesail but might get out only 12 times a year in Auckland. Foiling offers a new sensation in conditions I don't currently sail in - which is most of the time. I had to get a cheap slalom board to foil on which added to the size of my fleet which is now 7 boards! I am looking at getting a slalom fin but wondering if I'd even use it on my foil board? Also looking at a no-cam or cammed 6.5 for foiling too. Then I hear that you should get smaller foil wings for higher winds. Then I might look at getting an upgrade from an alloy foil a carbon foil...looks like things are getting more complex not less!?

Quote Originally Posted by Stev-0 View Post
    Then I might look at getting an upgrade from an alloy foil a carbon foil...looks like things are getting more complex not less!?
    That is the nature of the beast with windsurfing, it's technical and rarely any easy answers when it comes to the gear. Thinking/ hoping the foil options will get more efficient/ adaptable/ cheaper. Maybe there will be telescoping options so they can get bigger/ deeper to suit different conditions?

Maybe that virus fins thing is a possible option for us normal untalented people?

So they've got things going with the 'world championships' http://worlds2017.rsconvertibleclass.com/ Though just about all competitors were from Europe, and the women had only five (!). Still, seen as a test event it shows promise, not least because when ws occurs it's in proper slalom conditions (Day3) - no pumpathon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bear View Post
    So they've got things going with the 'world championships' http://worlds2017.rsconvertibleclass.com/ Though just about all competitors were from Europe, and the women had only five (!). Still, seen as a test event it shows promise, not least because when ws occurs it's in proper slalom conditions (Day3) - no pumpathon.
    When the 2017 World Championship was held in the Azores, it happened at the same time as an AFF Tour event, and several potential competitors for the World Championship decided to go to the AFF event, because it is part of a multiple event series they were competing in all year.
    The winners of the World Championship were top level competitors and had previously become European Champions in the RS:X One convertible class.

There was reasonably good drone footage of the World Championship event, and the men's event was a close battle. It did illustrate that the spectacle would be much better if you could identify the competitors more easily, so for the Olympics, IMO they should plan to have sails made which easily identify the different Countries.

The drone footage of the 2017 PWA Foil and Slalom racing from New Caledonia was even better and began to show the potential to make Slalom/Foiling an entertaining TV spectacle for the Olympics.

With matching equipment, there would be even closer racing, and windsurfers are more suited for filming in close to the action than kiting.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 3rd January 2018 at 04:58 PM.