Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Start Line Practice Cam

I've seen a couple of photos of the guys in Tenerife using a camera with a yacht timer mounted in front of it to film start line practising. I was wondering if any of you have built one of these or know what they look like. We'd like to build one for our local racing. We thought about a simple GoPro mount but that will be tough to review and were hoping to benefit from someone else's intellectual property.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCN1UXrt...by=guidopisani
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Try contacting Mark Hosegood, he is on FB. He runs the pro X training where the clips are taken from

Thanks Matt.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l

Cannot see why a Gopro would not do. The timer can be mounted on the same arrangement as the Gopro or separate. It is wide angle and fixed focus so no problem with depth of focus. The main difficulty is ensuring the timer readout is visible to the camera. I have tried getting my Gopro to read my GT31 but a simple unlit LCD type screen with a glass cover is no easy thing for a camera to read. First there is the refraction and or reflection caused by the glass and second the lack of contrast that a LCD screen gives. A lot depends on the light source...obviously usually the sun and in the UK the sun is not direct overhead as in warmer climates so is more hindrance than help. A direct overhead sun would be better. The other accessory that would help is a LED light source. Given the complete arrangement is mounted on a boat, the overall weight/ size of the arrangement is not an issue. So I would use an aluminium bar and mount Gopro LED light and Timer on the bar, then make some fixing to mount the bar on the boat. Of course the other really neat piece of kit to have would be a laser torch aimed across the water at the pin end so that there is no guessing about the line! This arrangement also avoids having to spend too much money on the camera. To get a video camera with the stabilisation and frame rate of a Gopro plus a waterproof case would be a lot of money.

Attachment 13698 I made this to mount my Gopro on my Kayak. The shelf is tread plate, the Gopro mount is the top part of a cheap tripod which enables me to easily aim the Gopro without having to loosen screws etc. Fixings are all marine grade stainless steel. The "plastic" bit is cut from a cheap chopping board. Apart from that it just requires a drill and some araldite. Something along these lines would easily enable the timer and a LED torch/light to be mounted as well.

I suspected that would be the best way to do this, but the race director said that he would want to be able to do a quick review on the boat and that isn't going to be easy with a GoPro. Thanks for that photo though. I suspect something like that is going to be the best that we can do.

...and he can. Use Hero 4 Silver. It has a touch screen on the back that both enables you to frame the shot and to review footage. It also has both wifi and Bluetooth so you can stream footage to a smart phone or tablet via the Gopro App and/or send it somewhere else via the Wifi. It has all bases covered. It is also the best Gopro yet barring only the Hero 4 Black.