Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The video is pitched at a beginner level and from my take on it, its quite clear, start in the middle (a beginner will take it either as the basic slot length or the entire length including the fat bit at the rear, does it matter that much for a beginner to be honest ?) and then move it forward or back as he has explained

clearly you masters of the sport are going to critique it and then raise matters such as tuning the board, where is the middle of the slot etc, should you start in the middle anyway. All of which is way over the head of the windsurfers that its aimed at

For me, its spot on

regards

The same as the one on strap placement as well, that was aimed at intermediates as well.
    Lets hope he does come back with some more details from Maui.

If you'd used a board with a mast track half a metre long, that moved about when you trod on the pedal, you'd get the picture better. as it is the limited movement available to you short boarders counts for about the square root of diddly squat. Other than making sure the boom will engage with the back of the board in sloppy conditions so getting the rig up is easier, it doesn't really make much difference where you put it.

In essence though, forward to depower, at the back to power up, (things work in reverse, bottom of the mast forward brings the top of the mast back and vice versa, i.e back = mast more upright.) Then there is the question, also relevant, how high do you run the boom?

I confess: I just leave it in the middle, "regardless". In fact, the only time the mast foot is ever moved is when I replace it (every 6 months to 1 year). Not only that, but all our sails are left fully downhauled, and I rarely adjust the downhaul ... just attach the boom, decide the amount of outhaul for the wind, put the shortie on, and get on the water in approximately three minutes.

For me, windsurfing is not about this kind of nerdy fettling (aka "tuning"), and if you are the kind of person that needs to ask the sort of question posed in the opening post, then frankly, I feel a bit sorry for you, but hey - "each to their own" / "one man's meat etc" I guess that the sport has always appealed to the fettlers and nerdy types that like to get out tape measures when they're rigging up and then write down the settings in their little black book. The only windsurfers who do that in our storage are Teutonic (lovely people though, I hasten to add, but for me it does tend to conjure up images of dudes with moustaches doing duck gybes in speedos
    )
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 8th April 2016 at 04:33 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I only do the nerdy fettling on slalom kit using GPS. It makes flat water sailing more interesting. Wave & freeride boards it goes in the middle. Saying that, I had my 2005 Cross 90l 9 years before experimenting with moving the footstraps from middle to back holes. Also last winter I bought a proper full on wave fin for it for use with a 4.2/4.7 maxed out and after using it brought the mast foot back a bit from the centre. Proper nerdy eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post

For me, windsurfing is not about this kind of nerdy fettling (aka "tuning"), and if you are the kind of person that needs to ask the sort of question posed in the opening post, then frankly, I feel a bit sorry for you....
    just a little sorry? you're a tight git with your measured emotions aint ya...

but thanks for rubbing in the fact you can go sailing at the drop of a hat, makes me feel less of a saddo in a speedo. not...

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    I only do the nerdy fettling on slalom kit using GPS. It makes flat water sailing more interesting. Wave & freeride boards it goes in the middle. Saying that, I had my 2005 Cross 90l 9 years before experimenting with moving the footstraps from middle to back holes. Also last winter I bought a proper full on wave fin for it for use with a 4.2/4.7 maxed out and after using it brought the mast foot back a bit from the centre. Proper nerdy eh?
    perhaps, perhaps not. surely if it makes a difference then it's a good thing?

first time i moved the mast forward 2 cm on my 74 Kode it absolutely transformed the way it sailed. turned my session from a losing battle into a riot of fun.

cheers!