Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Cape Town 2016-17

I wont fall foul of the thread police hopefully so am asking my question here. Thinking about a SA trip for the first time this December 2016. Langebaan looks nice, flat water by the looks of it but a nice town to stay? ANY NEARBY BEACHES TO LANGEBANN WITH SOME WAVES IF I STAY HERE?

Any tips about car hire, where in Langebaan to stay, what airline much appreciated. And any donts would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Wind stats look promising for Dec but I guess its like anywhere, could be load of of b@ollocks

I think that the Oracle on this matter has now left the building, quite possibly not returning.
    I am sure that car hire and flight stuff has been covered and probably not much different if you browse the previous stuff.
    Atoll may give you more info on locations around L,baan.
    It is a lovely place to be, hope you have a nice time.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Neal View Post
    I wont fall foul of the thread police hopefully so am asking my question here. Thinking about a SA trip for the first time this December 2016. Langebaan looks nice, flat water by the looks of it but a nice town to stay? ANY NEARBY BEACHES TO LANGEBANN WITH SOME WAVES IF I STAY HERE?

Any tips about car hire, where in Langebaan to stay, what airline much appreciated. And any donts would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Wind stats look promising for Dec but I guess its like anywhere, could be load of of b@ollocks
    Langebaan is a holiday town and as holiday towns go, there will plenty to do there in December. It will be packed to capacity. It's not far to wave spots either up near Paternoster or towards or in Cape Town. You can also often wave sail in Langebaan itself.

Come in January and take part in the Kite/Windsurf Cup. Have a look at the videos of this year's event and you'll see what the conditions are like around the lagoon.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Super Moderator
    We need to start a new thread for Cape Town 16/17, and I hope you don't mind Neal, but that's what I've done.

Langebaan is good for flat water though it can get quite choppy as the south-easterly picks up in the afternoon. The lagoon can be wonderful, either at Shark Bay south of Langebaan, and particularly at Kraalbai on the other side of the lagoon, but a fair drive through the national park.

Personally, I don't find Langebaan town very attractive, there's not a huge amount there, but the wind and weather are great and it would be fine if your main focus is getting on the water.

I'm not sure about wave beaches near Langebaan, others like Capie may know better. The last time I was there the swell was getting into Langebaan and people were going down-the-line in the shore break just up from Cape Sports, but I think that's a bit unusual.

For car rental, I'm a fan of rent-a-cheapie in Cape Town. PK1111 had a very impressive vehicle this year - not such a cheapie - and no doubt he can report on that.

Are you planning to take kit? If so you won't be able to fly direct as currently the only direct flights are with BA who won't take windsurfers. I heard that Thompson were thinking of starting a direct service to Cape Town, but don't know any more than that.

With kit, the options are Turkish via Istanbul, or Virgin to Johannesburg and then local airline Mango. Both options work well. I flew Turkish which was fine. See this year's Cape Town thread for more details.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 14th April 2016 at 07:23 AM.

Super Moderator
    Correction. It's not Thompson but Thomas Cook who are starting direct flights to Cape Town from Gatwick. It looks like they are flying three days a week at a cost of 630 and will take a surfboard for 60.

More of of a budget airline than Turkish but a direct flight beats hanging around in Istanbul airport at 2.00am.

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/t...mpaign=flights

Thanks to Basher's Facebook post for the heads-up.

My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Correction. It's not Thompson but Thomas Cook who are starting direct flights to Cape Town from Gatwick. It looks like they are flying three days a week at a cost of 630 and will take a surfboard for 60.

More of of a budget airline than Turkish but a direct flight beats hanging around in Istanbul airport at 2.00am.

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/t...mpaign=flights

Thanks to Basher's Facebook post for the heads-up.
    Thinking of heading back out again. Flying direct sounds good. Although anyone know if you are restricted to just one sports equipment bag? Likely I'll try to take 5.0/4.5 only @ 97kg. Would be the filled in the nuking days on that kit although I guess on the right board I could float in cross off for riding.

Thinking Feb-March...

Might wait and see what happens with sterling? Anything could happen in that time I guess.