Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I think we should not classify all WindSUP boards as rubbish for everything else. It depends on the board. While I admit most WindSUP boards are best left to light wind days and go up wind just fine on those days, there is at least one that I own that is a tremendous all round board. It is the Exocet Original WindSUP 10. With straps on this board, and a 50 cm racing fin, I am flying around on both light wind and high wind days. I have not taken out my smaller board in a long time, I am having too much fun on this board. So this is a WindSUP that is mainly good for the Wind part but can be SUPed too. I also removed the dagger board and had the bottom sewed shut as the dagger board is not really needed, it goes up wind just fine.

Sorry if I am offending anyone, but this board is very stable in the chop and allows me to go very fast because of the stability and control.

When I want to do light wind wave surfing I use the BIC WindSUP, which is a great board for surfing in light wind, smaller tri-fin, no straps, and very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    I suppose it depends what you are used to,
    well currently, a Starboard Phantom 377 with F-Off big carbon centreboard.... I guess why I was opening with 'reset expectations'

It's been bought for lightwind fun (primarily for paddling in small surf...), but if there's a bit of breeze and it's sunny etc, then I might chuck a 5.3 on it for ***** n' giggles.
    hostis humani generis

WindSUPs are rubbish at going upwind. I don't do much float'n'ride but love it so I have a 10'6 Kona waveboard for those conditions and I can get upwind higher and faster than kooks on a windsup. The biggest difference is that I can plane on the Kona and it is quite narrow in the tail so turns better. Saying all that, I SUP surf a lot these days and can handle choppy conditions OK and there is only about 8 knots between being too windy for SUP surfing and going float'n'ride on proper wavesailing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    well currently, a Starboard Phantom 377 with F-Off big carbon centreboard.... I guess why I was opening with 'reset expectations'

It's been bought for lightwind fun (primarily for paddling in small surf...), but if there's a bit of breeze and it's sunny etc, then I might chuck a 5.3 on it for ***** n' giggles.
    You'll not regret it I reckon, but watch out for the slippery slope of constant upgrades as you get better at paddling

I had way more fun with a sail on mine catching small waves in proper cross shore wind the other day than I had struggling to get in the right place with a paddle. It was just-that-little-bit-too-windy for me to make the best of it, but when you've driven for several hours to get to the beach on a nice swell forecast, you want to be able to get out and make the most of it for a few hours, and not end up frustrated and cursing like many of the folk paddling were by the end of the day.

I have a special 5m for mine as anything bigger is just a waste of energy if you're not going to get planing anyway Very handy to have a small sail when you're doing those unexpected wave 360s

well here she is... I'm reliably informed from private communication that my sexual orientation is now in question, but I don't care... it looks like a fun way to ensure that any time I get for messing around at the beach is best utilised... even in the event that the wind is sub 15 knots-ish.

I also plan to stick an 8m NCX on it and bung it on the lake in a fresh breeze.... it'll be a strapless freeriding dream- downwind anyway.

I'll post a photo when the sun is out and it's warmed up a bit and I really ought to be in the office - why the hell not? It's not like Basher's around here anymore to start scratching himself if the hives come out.

hostis humani generis

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Grooverider View Post
    well here she is...
    Coming to a For Sale site near you soon (well about 6 months) for a bargain price....

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    Coming to a For Sale site near you soon (well about 6 months) for a bargain price....
    hopefully not... if this works out for what I want for the next year or so. I don't know whether it might mean my other SUP (11'2) is now redundant.... again maybe not, it will be better for getting the kids onboard than this, if they want to that is....
    hostis humani generis