Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Severne NCX for BSA?

I am looking to compete in the BSA amateurs this year. I competed in the first round with an ok result but I'm considering selling my Point-7 ACKs and buying some NCXs.
    I would buy some full-on race sails but finding a set secondhand looks too expensive for me at the moment. I try to attend as many of the hayling slalom evenings as I can but find myself frustrated with my setup. I have owned a 6.5 Gator and it is probably the best sail I have ever had.
    Having never used an NCX I was keen to get opinions on it. I believe that the amateurs was won on a cam-free sail last year too.

Hi,

if You are frustrated with Your Setup, You should work on the setup first before changing sails. Tell us ewhat Yout Problems are and You will receive good tips for sure.
    If You want to compete in Slalom racing, going from an ACK to an NCX is not a good option from my opinion. The ACK are freerace sails with a very good performance and still userfriendly compared to a full race sail. Ok, freeride sails will have a better handling but You are talking about competition. I doubt that Your Setup on a slalomboard will be better with an NCX sail.

Best regards

Alex

Yes I would work on tuning the ACK's, I don't think NCX is the answer.
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 11, B&J/Wave 06, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07

I think you are correct in that the winner of the amateurs last year won on a no cam sail, RRD stuff. I think he used a Firemove & Firestorm boards as well, so not full on slalom kit. I read a write-up of his and I think he said Dave White told him not to bother with full on slalom kit for the first year.

So I agree with tuning your current kit and working on technique, particularly the start & gybing.

What kit do you have currently and how heavy are you? I guess you already have a big sail and board, around 8.5m & 125l/80cm wide already. If not I'd suggest get something that size because if its not windy they will run 1 race in very iffy conditions just to get a result. If you do a full season and get hooked then buy some faster kit if you are planing all the way around the course and are just losing out on top speed.
    I did a lot of fun slalom a few years ago in Poole and there were quite a few using freeride kit and doing ok on it.

I've just realised the Point-7 ACK is their 3 cam freerace sail, I assumed it was their no-cam. I definitely wouldn't change that for the NCX.

I have had both the ACK and the NCX and both are more than capable of winning the amateure's division.

Hmm, which would I prefer.

ACK to see me through any holes in the wind.
    NCX if I was to fall in a lot
    ACK for start line psychology
    NCX for rigging.

The ACK probably has the potential to control the board better but its such a fine line that it isn't worth thinking about.

get you boom height, harness line length, mastfoot position all correct then use the right fin and either sail is good enough.

Thank you for your replies.
    I think my setup is OK. The problem seems to be the cams not rotating. The sailing is awesome in one direction then lacking power and stability in the other. I have been told to cut the cams down until they rotate. Now I lack power and stability in both directions. As soon as I put any spacers in the cams will not rotate.