Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8.0 - no cam freerace or cammed race sail?

Anyone have any experience with no cam freerace sails in the big sizes (7.8-8.5)? I've heard that in the smaller sizes the no cam sails are worth looking at. What about in the bigger sizes? How much top end speed would I give up with a no cam sail?

I'm trying to decide between a Hotsails Maui GPX (no cam) and GPS (4 cam) in an 8.0 for my (oldish) iSonic 117 (75 cm wide). I'm sticking to this brand as I already have one of their 100% carbon masts, and have the budget for a new sail but not a new mast.

I might try and do some amateur racing at some point, but currently I'm just a weekend warrior who likes to drag race others and check my speed on a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by socalsailor View Post
    Anyone have any experience with no cam freerace sails in the big sizes (7.8-8.5)? I've heard that in the smaller sizes the no cam sails are worth looking at. What about in the bigger sizes? How much top end speed would I give up with a no cam sail?

I'm trying to decide between a Hotsails Maui GPX (no cam) and GPS (4 cam) in an 8.0 for my (oldish) iSonic 117 (75 cm wide). I'm sticking to this brand as I already have one of their 100% carbon masts, and have the budget for a new sail but not a new mast.

I might try and do some amateur racing at some point, but currently I'm just a weekend warrior who likes to drag race others and check my speed on a GPS.
    l dont know about maui hot sails. but l own Neilpryde HELLCATS. my bigest one beeing 7.8. verry fast sail. and thay are monsters when overpowered. hardly notice any performance diference between the hellcats, the evo and the rs slaloms exept the full race sails seem to be faster going upwind and easyer to hang on to when overpowered (hellcats tire me out verry quick trying to hang on to em when the wind picks up alot ). but if you are like me and dont do raceing then the no cam freerace might be the sail for you if you not gonna sail in overpowered conditions.
    ex: l overtake my mates that are on there hornets, h2 raceings, and north s types... that have been windsurfing all there lives. l have only started windsurfing 3 years ago. so that must mean something ?
    it gets funny as mostly thay will mock my sail cause it doesnt have any cams but you should see there face when thay get overtaken by me on my no cam sails ))
    Last edited by soundwaves; 2nd June 2016 at 06:43 PM.

mind you lm no PRO WİNDSURFER so some other guys on the forum could give you better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
    mind you lm no PRO WİNDSURFER so some other guys on the forum could give you better advice.
    Speed when powered, little difference.
    Speed coming out of jibes, favor's cams.
    Speed thru lulls in the wind favor cams.
    Speed rigging favors no cams, but not by nearly as much when you dial in rigging cammed sails.
    Speed of sail flip favor's no cam.
    Speed of waterstart, and uphauls favor no cams.
    Speed extremely upwind, or extremely downwind favor's cams.
    Speed of getting planing....favor's' cams if you don't pump, favor's non cam if you can pump well.

I share your scepticism about just how big you can go with a no cam and retain stability. My biggest no cam is a 7.3 ( North E Type), then I go to a North S Type at 7.8. S Type is 3 cams but a freerace design quite divorced from North's race sail the Warp. I previously used North RAM sails which were mostly pretty close to the previous year Warp design but with a narrower luff sleeve and one less cam. Out of that bunch I can say that the 7.3 is absolutely fine with plenty of stability and range. With the North E Types the 7.8 adds another batten ( 7 in total) so is probably also pretty good but I use a 7.8 in fairly light wind....which can also pick up when out there.....and I know the S Type has more ability to glide through lulls as well as more top end capability so feel happier using that type of sail. I would also be using a light wind ( wide) board and that puts more effort into the sail especially getting going/accelerating, and that may prove too much for a no cam. I would not however go for a 4 cam race sail. There is extra weight, deeper profile with higher cam tension, and less bottom end grunt than with a freerace sail, so I would have to be on a 8.5 and even then it would only really pay dividends if it was at least well powered preferably overpowered.Otherwise it would be heavy and cumbersome in a lull or waterstarting and less than responsive in the lighter winds. In terms of your intended use I would say go for your brand's cammed freerace sail ( twin cam probably).

As a relative big sail novice, the few times I have used a big cam sail I have found the handling to be too weird to adjust to compared to what I'm mainly used to (wave sails). Basically to me cammed sails feels like a fixed wing rather than a sail. I'm sure I would settle in with time, but I have never bothered as less than 10 per cent of my sailing is on big sails and so my big sails are all no cams : 7.5 gator , ancient 8.5 heckler and ancient 9.6 tush max. I'm sure there would be performance benefits to a cammed sail but I like that my bigger sails feel, especially when manoeuvring but also when pumping, like scaled up versions of my small sails. My Light wind board is also wide (85cm) and with a massive fin, so it seems to glide through lulls without the extra help that cams would probably give.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    Speed when powered, little difference.
    Speed coming out of jibes, favor's cams.
    Speed thru lulls in the wind favor cams.
    Speed rigging favors no cams, but not by nearly as much when you dial in rigging cammed sails.
    Speed of sail flip favor's no cam.
    Speed of waterstart, and uphauls favor no cams.
    Speed extremely upwind, or extremely downwind favor's cams.
    Speed of getting planing....favor's' cams if you don't pump, favor's non cam if you can pump well.

The rigging (time but also ease of getting it set nicely) and waterstaring issue are the key for me and why i would always go for no cams.