Can gybe on port tack but not starboard

Hi, for some reason I am really struggling to get gybes going on starboard tack.

On port tack I can lean right over the opposite rail of the board (or at least feel like I am) as I bank the board around, but on starboard it almost feels like a mobility problem, like I can't get out out the standing bolt upright position, so the board just carries on in almost a straight line. The weird thing is I have started tacking OK on starboard, including planing into some of then.

I'm not sure if it is related to being left handed & footed?

Standard Goofy/Regular thing, you're regular i.e. ride with your left foot forward, a Port Tacker like me, so you need to work on your starboard side. Lucky for me our prevailing wind came from the right so starboard out and first gybe were what we had to learn, I was really surprised much later sailing on a Port hand beach how much easier it all was.

OK thanks, I guess I just need to force myself to do more of them, I seem to be just defaulting to attempting tacks on starboard at the moment.

Chances are if you are left footed that on starboard you are trying to initiate the carve using that left foot rather than using the rig To improve your starboard gybes fore yourself to initiate the carve with the back foot in the strap......take it out only once very broad. It will effectively take your favoured foot out of the equation...at least until later in the gybe

Where about do you sail? Maybe its because on port the water is flatter on the inside so you have more speed, on starboard you are gybing in chop so going slower and harder to commit?

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    Where about do you sail? Maybe its because on port the water is flatter on the inside so you have more speed, on starboard you are gybing in chop so going slower and harder to commit?
    HI, I mainly sail Hunstanton at lowish tide. The prevailing wind is SW so I will be heading into the beach on my 'bad' tack, heading towards the low tide sand bank on my good one.

All last week when I was on holiday up there the winds were northerly so everything was reversed effectively. It definitely a lack of feel when right foot forward I think, need to just force myself to work on it I think.

IF you have access to a skateboard, try using it with other foot forward (not the one that feels comfortable). That may help the balance issue.