Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    30-35 gusts, most knowledgeable windsurfer's are using 4.5's down to 3.0's. There's a reason for that, which you are finding out.
    The reward for the most condescending comment of the week goes to....

I really appreciate all of the tips. I was out this week in some of the windiest conditions we've ever seen on our Central Virginia lake (gusts topped 32mph) and rigging a smaller cam-less 6.5 made things much easier, although the lulls made for second thoughts. I now have a 7.6 TRx with 4 cams that may be my new go-to, but I wanted something "light" as I was working on waterstarts and gybing. The former went GREAT, the latter...not so much

FWIW, this is my 3rd attempt at replying to this thread. Being a forum newbie, I think my posts are not getting thru.

I assume that 7.6 is a Maui sails model, they tend to need a stiff top mast so the down haul tuning is more crucial. I found Phil McGain quite responsive to emails about tuning.

learning to gybe in powered up conditions is tough as you tend (only natural) to tighten up your arc which in combination with a flatter entry makes it harder to make the gybe an effective transition, bear off more on entry and on exit make it not a 180 degree turn but a 120 degree turn, that should help your success rate.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

I mentioned the difference between sails but that also spreads to the board design. I noticed an immediate difference (obviously) using my Rocket Wide with no cam sails compared to my previous set of of Isonic slalom board and North RAM slalom sail. On the latter set up stability of the sail was never an issue but in prolonged gusts heading upwind was not a safe option. As JK said above it can lead to flying lessons! The ability to go broad depended on how close the size of fin being used was being maxed out or how suitable it was as a downwind fin. More often than not it would fight to keep the board on a tight reach. Sheeting out was not a option because the board would just take off. So what you were left with was hunkering down and allowing the board to accelerate which could be somewhat worrying!
    The Rocket Wide/no cam combination gives far more option for dealing with big gusts. I can just hunker down as per the slalom set up but a no cam sail does not the same stability as a slalom sail so there will come a point when alternative strategies have to be employed. With this combo I can ease the sail as PIP suggests with little or no negative impact on board control, I can also "hide" upwind with the sail eased. With a no cam sail it is obviously far easier for the leading edge of the sail to collapse as the apparent wind moves further towards the nose so going to high upwind is not a good idea though. If all else fails on this combo I can take the board off the plane and feather the sail completely...........this would be a survival strategy in a squall perhaps rather than a transient gust.

Quote Originally Posted by tri413 View Post
    FWIW, this is my 3rd attempt at replying to this thread. Being a forum newbie, I think my posts are not getting thru.
    I donít think itís you. In the last few weeks Iíve found it impossible to type directly into the forum without it shutting down the page or other weird stuff happening.
    Iím reduced to composing in WORD and copy/paste to the forum
    Windsurfers do it standing up in shop doorways.

Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    The reward for the most condescending comment of the week goes to....
    Only an idiot would advise a newbie sailor to continue using a 9 meter sail in 30 mph winds.
    Of course, if you can accept that title, then it fits well.
    Formula racing PROS can sail a 9 meter sail in 30 mph winds, but they are PROS, and don't ask for your advice.

I have to agree to an extent with the above although it could have been expressed a little more kindly!

I have no idea what sort of wind the OP experiences on that Lake.........weather systems/thermal/ funnel etc but even with an active cold front overhead gusts of over 30 MPH would normally be associated with average wind strengths of about 20 MPH or more with lulls perhaps down to 16mph if the wind is particularly volatile. Something like a 6.2 to 6.4 would deal with all of that without too much of a problem for an average weight sailor. So the 6.4 no cam sail should be fine. The 7.6 4 cam is a race sail and for the suggested standard of the OP will be an absolute nightmare! The 4 cam sail properly set up would just shrug off a gust of 30 mph but would accelerate the board a lot assuming the rider let it. Unless sailing on apparent wind it would be very light in the hands with 16 mph and easy to stall if the rider was not experienced. Either way, it would only perform properly if teamed with a racy board and a good fin. So my advise would be stick to the 6.4 and learn to keep it going in the lulls by bearing away and taking weight off the board.

If the lulls are even deeper than that then it is a matter of accepting that the wind conditions are not ideal for any size rig and all you can do is rig for mean average and accept you may not be planning all of the time.