Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting out in big waves and close sets

Does anyone have any footage of 'pros' getting out in lighter winds and large waves.
    All the footage show the good stuff of riding and jumping, however i would really like to see how they negotiate the sets if they either fluff it and have to waterstart in a set or come to the end of a ride and have to make it out through the surf.

I dont mean at the end of a wave and able to gybe out and head out through a channel, more somewhere like cornwall or other flatter breaks that there is no easy way out.

This was brought out from the link on the hydrofoil link where Kuali is in Morocco and he launches off what looks like a cliff face, and the next thing you notice he is out sailing....

There was a fair bit of that on the Aloha Classic live feed when people fell in by the rocks & had to fight their way out again. The stream's archived if you've got time to force yourself to watch it! http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=2109

Would be interesting to see how they make it out through shore dumps as well, especially in onshore conditions.

Not got time to search for links at the mo, but a lot of the AWT footage over the years has been very instructional in terms of how people cope with a range of conditions - not sure if it's archived anywhere in its full glory....

I find the best method is to try, get rolled, get stuck under you kit, get rescued by a mate, walk back upwind, repeat until totally knackered, go home. Works very well for me.

In Pozo the waves are mostly smaller and the wind stronger. But the sets are often close and it's pretty onshore. And there's no channel. When people (not me) still chose to loop close to the Bunker it's partly because they have the ability to get planing within five seconds after a fall, often even waterstarting clew first. I've also been amazed by how people manage to climb walls of white water off the plane. I guess it's like with everything else that you get better with practice. And that a few people progress much faster than others. Would be nice to see some footage though. Personally I learn more from watching people that are only three times as good as myself. With the pros everything happens too fast for me to follow.
    The infamous wavewriter

This is about reaction times, kit choice, and your ability to read the waves. It will be different at each wave location but quick decision skills are what are needed at each spot.

So you need to read the waves to get out – or to avoid trouble by anticipating it before it happens. This is about reading what any wave is going to do and sometimes you then know to get the hell out of there fast, and at other times you stall to let a wave break so that you can then get over what's left of it.

Obviously early planing then comes into this, and that in turn is about you being on a floaty enough board for your weight and one that you can get going quickly with a pump of the rig and by popping the board. If conditions are onshore and difficult then I choose a board with fast rocker. Being fit and 'reactive' is then the key.

Some of this stuff you can see going on in a wave video and some of it you can't.
    If I remember correctly, Pozo waves can also be a bit random, so I guess sooner or later you will be taken down. At that point, good waterstarting skills come into it, but there are also ways of crashing which can save your rig and put you in a better position to waterstart quickly ahead of the next set.

I do sometimes sit on a beach and watch others sail and I look at incoming waves and try and guess what they will do. But the best way to learn most of this stuff is to get out there.
    Now back in the UK.