Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 questions. upwind and catapult

hi everyone.
    have 2 kinda questions for some of you guys that have been doing the sport for long years...
    when heading verry deep upwind l tend to have to sheet in alot with my back hand and cant put all my weight in the harness because of my position when going verry deep upwind ( front leg bent back leg straight leening kinda forward... ) it tires my arms out and l loose alot of unnessesery energy this way because the pull of the saill is somewhat in my arms rather than relaxing in my harness. l thought about moveing the harness lines further back but then it would be uncomfortable sailing down and across wind.? would help me windsurf for a longer period of time if some of you could give me a tip or two.

Q no 2 : back strap catapoult every once in a while l cant help beeing verry badly catapoulted as soon as l lift my back foot to put it in the back strap. find it easyer to get in to the back strap when heading up wind or when lm going slowish halph planeing.
    but every once in a while this happens : strong gust comes- bare away - put my front foot in - start going fast as soon as lm in the front strap - then when l lift my back foot up - BOOM.
    Tips for this issue pls ? almost broke my leg today when l slamed in to the mast going a million miles p/h not to mention 2 or 3 nose repares for my board a year :/
    Last edited by soundwaves; 18th June 2016 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
    hi everyone.
    have 2 kinda questions for some of you guys that have been doing the sport for long years...
    when heading verry deep upwind l tend to have to sheet in alot with my back hand and cant put all my weight in the harness because of my position when going verry deep upwind ( front leg bent back leg straight leening kinda forward... ) it tires my arms out and l loose alot of unnessesery energy this way because the pull of the saill is somewhat in my arms rather than relaxing in my harness. l thought about moveing the harness lines further back but then it would be uncomfortable sailing down and across wind.? would help me windsurf for a longer period of time if some of you could give me a tip or two.

Q no 2 : back strap catapoult every once in a while l cant help beeing verry badly catapoulted as soon as l lift my back foot to put it in the back strap. find it easyer to get in to the back strap when heading up wind or when lm going slowish halph planeing.
    but every once in a while this happens : strong gust comes- bare away - put my front foot in - start going fast as soon as lm in the front strap - then when l lift my back foot up - BOOM.
    Tips for this issue pls ? almost broke my leg today when l slamed in to the mast going a million miles p/h not to mention 2 or 3 nose repares for my board a year :/
    UPwind, drop lower, so your weight takes the load off your arms. Sail should be sheeted in so the clew is nearly over the tail of the board, but not quite.
    Getting launched, you gotta pay attention. Big gust coming down at you is not the right time to decide to look around for the back footstrap. Get in before the gust hit's you. Bear off a lot so the gust is muted by you going downwind, then immediately head back to where you want to go. Once again, bend ze knees so the board can go downwind, muting the big gust.

It sounds like you have some trim issues there, the upwind problem sounds like you are actually over sheeting, for upwind if you over sheet it really becomes hard work, my upwind trim is harness fully loaded, back hand just behind the back harness line but doing almost nothing and front hand balancing push and pull if the front of the sail, if I really want to go high then I grave the up haul and trim the rig from that. This forces you to use the harness and your legs to drive the kit upwind and dies develop a high level of finesse.

The catapults are a bit harder to deal with because the possibility is always there during the acceleration phase and it's just s case of developing a technique to deal with it. For example if it's consistent weather and I know I will plane then my process is to get I the straps quickly and to drop low to drive the kit through that phase until in up to speed and can relax. The opposite is inland shift conditions where I often get planing with just my front foot in until I'm happily upto speed and want to go faste, then I move my back foot into the strap. Just focus on realising that it's the speed differential during the acceleration phase tha causes the problem, get though that and close to your normal speed and you should be ok, it's a max of 10secs in reality.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Agree with JK on the upwind aspect but you might also look at how much you are leaning forward as opposed to how much you are twisting to face forward....there is a difference. If you twist your body to try to get the same shoulder angle as your head looking upwind you naturally exert a lot of pressure on the front harness line and just enough on the rear harness line to prevent you having to do much more than just hold the boom lightly with the back hand. Try it....personally I have no pressure on either hand going upwind..it is all in the harness.

In terms of getting catapulted when trying to find the rear strap you need to think about the forces being exerted. The only way you can lift the rear foot from the board with security is to have all of the drive going through your front leg. If your front leg is straight and your hips are behind your knee, you are in a secure position. when you drive off the wind that is the position you will be in.........however, the rear strap is then behind you ,especially if it is out on the rail so quite difficult to get to...........hence the usual advice is to head slightly upwind so that you are more square to the rail. So here is the problem. As soon as you do that the pressure on your feet changes from virtually 100% on the front foot to a more even balance and it is easier to be pulled forward unless you are in both straps. What pulls you forward is the drive from the sail. In marginal conditions slight changes in body position is enough to get the job done. In stronger winds or if a gust arrives, you are an easy target. So in those conditions, one solution is to bring the board across the wind or slightly upwind as usual, and at the point you go for the rear strap ease off the power with your back hand.....just for a second and not too much.....enough to ensure you have little or no pressure on the back hand for a second or so. Virtually all the pressure will be transferred to your front foot.

An additional part of that process sometimes helps, and that is to go for the back strap in 2 stages. The first stage being to get the back foot so that it is pressed up against the side of the strap. The second stage is then a shorter distance to travel and also you have a better idea where the strap is without having to look down.

thanks alot guys.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwaves View Post
    thanks alot guys.
    I remember those bruised thigh incidents very well. Manages to break the hook on my harness on one occasion but so far never broken a bone windsurfing, just a few minutes with a dead leg.

A lot of it is probably the urge to rush getting the back foot in. As has been said, there is a big change of speed when you need to be in control and not faffing around with foot positions. Sometimes it is better to wait until you have that control before moving the back foot. It is about technique and time on water learning. For some it helps to unweight the rear foot by twisting the hips forward leaving all the drive in the front foot,. This almost leaves your back foot dangling with nothing to do but to move.

Just as a reference point for harness lines for you on the upwind point, on my 7.0, 7.8 and 8.6 (all the same model and year) I have a preferred boom and the adjustment of line position between them is very very minimal, maybe a max of 1" forward or back relative to the size that's all.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"