Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FWIW, I have been having a better time getting my back foot in a rail strap by slowly "creeping" my way into it. I barely lift any weight and I don't have to look down. At the beginning of the process, my rear-foot toes are pointed almost straight back. Granted I haven't tried this in any significant waves, so your mileage may vary.

An additional part of that process sometimes helps, and that is to go for the back strap in 2 stages. The first stage being to get the back foot so that it is pressed up against the side of the strap. The second stage is then a shorter distance to travel and also you have a better idea where the strap is without having to look down.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with the 2 stage.
    I found while learning the backstrap if I start looking for the backstrap I get catapulted or loose control
    if I try to find the backstrap blindly with my foot then or I become too heavy on the backfoot and come off the plane or I just miss it ending in the water.
    Only way I found it to work for me is front foot in then push the board a bit through the rail so it picks up speed, at the same time the back foot moves back touching the back strap but again slightly on the rail. This way its in line with the backstrap and can slide in.
    Now I admit I still have a lot to learn and perfect the technique but this is how it worked for me

Another question on this topic.

When to put the back foot in?

How do you get the timing right? I noticed the other day while being overpowered that if I wait too long and start picking too much speed then it practically becomes impossible as when I tried I went flying. Board becomes bouncy and out of control.
    On the other hand sometimes if I go too early with the back foot I stall and come off the plane.

Practice is the only way really. Keep at it and suddenly you will wonder what all the fuss was about. One thing I will say is it sounds as if you are not driving your weight through the harness and into the mast foot. When you do that, the amount of weight on your back foot is minimal so should not be an issue. Do it right with the power in the harness and front foot driving forward you should be able to swing yor back leg around barely affecting the trim.

I think a lot depends on the type of board you are using. Phill above is right for a lot of boards I think but with a slalom board and even some freerace boards if you do not get the back strap quickly there is no second chance! I have found on my Rocket wides that I can put my back foot into and out of the back strap at will and that is because even when beam reaching there is more pressure on the front foot than rear foot. On a slalom board the pressure is equal and often slightly more on the back foot due to the powerful fin and higher volume tail of the board.
    I would say the optimum time to get the back foot in is when the board has started planing but before you apply full power with the back hand. One thing that may be happening for you is that if your rear foot placement is a bit clumsy it is easy to sheet out and lose power...............so maybe focus on keeping your sail trim constant.

Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    . One thing I will say is it sounds as if you are not driving your weight through the harness and into the mast foot. When you do that, the amount of weight on your back foot is minimal so should not be an issue. Do it right with the power in the harness and front foot driving forward you should be able to swing yor back leg around barely affecting the trim.
    I think you are right here Phil.
    Weight in the harness or mast foot pressure is a constant that comes around.
    I think I've improved with MFP in order to get the board planing but once up and running I think I inconsciously put my weight back on my feet again.
    Thinking about it thats why then I often unhook from the harness while planing. Although even in this aspect I unhook less with practice.
    I'm tempted to try a seat harness and see if that helps.
    No matter what the harness though I get the message as its technique not harness and will work on that.

For me everything got a lot funnier and easier when I learnt to go in the traps before planing. Trickie first, but just leaning forward in the harness and it will be very natural after a while. When accelerating you can just focusing on going. Think Guy Cribb explain how in his articles.