Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My attempts at carve gybing

Hi all. I have been going hard at it practising my gybes this year and watching many Gybe DVDs and online tutorials. I seem to be making progress but im not sure if I have the right technique.

Out of many failed attempts I have recorded a handful that were successful and put them on a video. Unfortunately there has only been light winds around 15 knots to practise in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdAjeK7lOo

If you have any pointers it would be much appreciated.

Quas

Quote Originally Posted by Quas View Post
    Hi all. I have been going hard at it practising my gybes this year and watching many Gybe DVDs and online tutorials. I seem to be making progress but im not sure if I have the right technique.

Out of many failed attempts I have recorded a handful that were successful and put them on a video. Unfortunately there has only been light winds around 15 knots to practise in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdAjeK7lOo

If you have any pointers it would be much appreciated.

Quas
    Unfortunately it's almost impossible to see anything from that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/ico View Post
    Unfortunately it's almost impossible to see anything from that angle.
    Hi Nico, the 3rd clip shows a view from the beach. Its a bit blurry because of the distance but you can make out whats happening.

Cheers

looks good quas - seeing some fails would be good too!!! I'm no guru, but it looked a bit like you were sort of hanging back over the tail of the board (most noticeable at 1:24) as you go into the gybe. This maybe a camera affect, not sure! But it seems to tie in with you dropping off the plane and the nose being a bit up in the air as you are switching feet. It looked like you had the foot of the sail down on the deck of the board as you started the turn and I suspect it is better to have the sail driving more forward. I think sheet in hard with your back hand but get that front arm straight and pushing the sail forward. It may help to keep the nose of the board down which can hopefully keep you planing through the turn. Flip the rig nice and early and pump a few times to keep it up on the plane.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Quote Originally Posted by boards_gmac View Post
    looks good quas - seeing some fails would be good too!!! I'm no guru, but it looked a bit like you were sort of hanging back over the tail of the board (most noticeable at 1:24) as you go into the gybe. This maybe a camera affect, not sure! But it seems to tie in with you dropping off the plane and the nose being a bit up in the air as you are switching feet. It looked like you had the foot of the sail down on the deck of the board as you started the turn and I suspect it is better to have the sail driving more forward. I think sheet in hard with your back hand but get that front arm straight and pushing the sail forward. It may help to keep the nose of the board down which can hopefully keep you planing through the turn. Flip the rig nice and early and pump a few times to keep it up on the plane.
    Thanks boards_gmac. Looking at the video again I do seem to hang back on the tail of the board . That probably explains why most of my gybes end up pointed directly up wind or stalling. Yes you are right the foot of the sail is close to the board. I'll give it a try to push the sail forward when entering the gybe. some say its useful to keep the back hand close to your face and extend the front arm. This might keep the speed up through the gybe.

thanks for the tips

Quas

As per Gmac, I suspect you are quite a light sailor? you are weight backwards a bit rather than driving forward but because you are light you are getting away with it. Also the arc looks quite tight, maybe bear off a bit more for a second or two and then start your exit earlier at an angle more off the wind, that way you don't do a 180 turn you just do about 140.

Another thing you might be doing is sheeting out on your approach so you are losing some power, the last gybe illustrated that, lots of speed in but you lost it because you sheeted out and were a bit on the tail.

I would say you have the starting points of a good gybe but with those isonics you do need to drive them through the turn on the rail of the board as well as the fin so you could play with weighting that inside foot and actually carving that rail through the turn, that helps keep your speed up.

Keep going you are doing well!
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

I agree with many of the things said above. You're doing well but a couple of points -

1) 7.5 in 15 knots is more than enough to plane right through. I'm 72 kilos and would be on a smaller sail in 15 knots.
    2) You're losing speed before the gybe. It looks like you're sheeting out. Speed is your friend in a gybe. Try to bear off in the harness then unhook and immediately start the gybe.
    3) Move your front hand back so that it is just in front of the front harness line.
    4) As others mentioned, you are hanging over the back of the board too far. You need to bend your knees and point them towards a point between the mast foot and the leeward rail.
    5) The board is quite flat through the gybe. Try to engage the leeward rail more. Leaning forward will help that.
    6) Flip the rig earlier. The rig flip should happen as the board goes through dead downwind. Again, speed will help as the sail will go neutral at that point if you're going faster.
    7) After the gybe, get low.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt