Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fancy footwork Phil! Enjoyed the vid, when I have a quick go on modern large wide boards, I always struggle to keep planing out of the gybe (it is normal very choppy/wavy). I can see why now after watching the video, I place my new back foot in the wrong place, too close to the centre line!

I am usually paranoid about dropping/falling into the rig and damaging the poor person's kit I have nabbed..

Not sure what happens with the rig flip, is there is active pushing, not sure? Will have to observe what happens the next time if I get back on the water.
    Last edited by Mark D; 19th July 2016 at 06:04 AM.
    Powered by..Juice Boardsports

To push or not to push depends heavily on your timing regarding sail shifting and repositioning your feet:
    If you do the shifting early, before changing your foot position a little push goes a long way in speeding up the sail shift. I like this technique for high speed jibes with a rather large radius or when i'm completely overpowered (as in the picture).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2074.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	14156

If you're going for the more common “change feet first” approach, where you shift the sail in a clew first position, there shouldn't be much need for this, since there's a lot of pressure on the clew anyway (couldn't find a newer picture than this one, mind my classic Simmer Onshore sail with a luff that's probably about a meter longer than in the current models )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jibe_2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	14157

Pulling the mast across during shifting will help in both cases by the way.

Yes, pulling is perhaps a more all round technique. As said, on flat water I only gybe full tilt and only strap to strap. Gybes are typically fast and widish. I guess that the harder you push on the inside hip the faster the board will turn and the faster the sail will rotate even with active help. But spinning into the wind and loosing speed is also a common problem so getting the sail flipped fast is generally helpful.
    The infamous wavewriter