Light/no wind training

Hi

I've just started helping out with training kids at my local sailing club. On a few sessions there has been really light and no wind. Any ideas on what I could get them doing to stop them getting getting bored, keep them interested which would be beneficial for their windsurfing?

The kids I've got at the moment are complete beginners from around 8 upwards.

thanks

Light wind freestyle. One thing they do at Club Vass in light wind which is quite good fun is a 'follow the leader' session. The instructor leads, & does various things like no-handed (assuming everyone can use a harness), kneeling/sitting down, foot drags, sail 360s, clew first, tacks & gybes etc. Everyone else follows & copies the moves (or falls in trying). Anything that teaches the muscle memory for rig handling & moving around the board is time well spent.
    Loose - the opposite of tight. Lose - the one that's pronounced 'looze'.

Or just hold a simple out and back regatta, short length for the light winds, maybe 200 feet. There will be enough close calls and crash's to make it entertaining.

Sup dude!
    Kids can spend hours playing last man standing just messing about on a floating board.
    gets them swimming, used to climbing on the board and balancing on the board.
    it makes the transition to sticking a windy rig on it so much easier.

Definitely SUP. If they do it properly it's great for fitness and core strength and if they want to just mess around then it's fun and will keep them amused for ages. I always have a SUP board on my car when the forecast is marginal, and if it turns out to be anything under 6-7 knots I go out on that rather than windsurf.

You might not have a fleet of SUPs but if they're on big beginner boards then they'll not have too much trouble paddling them around, as long as the boards are relatively robust (expect a lot of paddle strike on the rails!) and the paddles either float or have insulation foam added for buoyancy. A bunch of relatively cheap adjustable paddles might be a good investment. My nephew used to have great fun SUPing an old 100 litre windsurf board with an old oar... board suffered a bit, but a proper paddle would probably have helped